Thursday, February 12, 2009

To Watch or Not To Watch...


I'm a fan of TV. Yes, it's the idiot box, the boob tube, the worst babysitter and it's probably single-handedly responsible for the lack of civility in the country, shortened attention spans and over sexualized youth, but you've got to admit that it's a pretty awesome way to kill time.



This is right about the time of year when new shows or seasons get trotted out to take advantage of people staying inside to avoid lowered temperatures. And when you factor in the dismal state of the economy

you've got to imagine that more people are going to be turning on the telly as a cost effective way to get entertainment.

Unfortunately I'm without both cable and a television signal (I literally live in a dungeon) which means I get most of my television from the net (it's a relatively modern dungeon.) Thus here are some current and upcoming shows that I may make an effort to watch.

Lost

Either you like the show or you don't. Except that I don't really like the show yet I continue to watch it. For me the show wavers between "entertaining" and "excruciating." I'm basically just watching to see if the writers can dig themselves out of the ginormous hole they'd dug for themselves.

Chances I'm going to watch: 100% - it started last month and I've yet to miss an ep.

Big Love

There was a time when I watched almost everything that HBO had to offer. That time has passed. Still, I'd caught the first couple of seasons of the show and I dug the dynamic and most of the characters.

Chances I'm going to watch: 10% - This looks to be a show that I'll be catching in marathons On Demand. I tried the same thing with True Blood and only got a third of the way in.


Burn Notice

The first couple of seasons were very enjoyable. This is honestly a good show. It's entertaining yet not really dumb, yet not something you've got to completely focus on. It can seem very formulaic at times, but the underlying mystery keeps things interesting.

Chances I'm going to watch: 75% - I caught the premiere on Hulu, then promptly forgot that it was back on. Clearly that's not a good sign.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. with the internets, there's really no point in watching tv. it's all here.

    I can't get jiggy with the serious version of Gilligan's Island, but people seem to be addicted to it.

    I started watching Big Love and True Blood. they were pretty good shows, but those accents on True Blood gave me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I tried to get into True Blood, but it just wasn't something I could sink my teeth into.

    (See what I did there? Because it's a show about vampires.)

    I'll have to head to Jay1's crib and do a Big Love marathon someday. Thank goodness for friends with On Demand.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...