Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Revisiting "Five Musical Acts I'm Trying to Get Up On in '11"


So, like eight months ago I posted about the five musical acts I was going to do my best to get up on in 2011.  I've got a ton of bands and artists that I'm trying to get into.

Some come from recommendations from friends.  Some are bands that I've either seen on tv or as opening acts.  And some I've just read about on wikipedia.

Anyway, my musical acts of 2011 were Calexico, Madlib, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Anathallo and A Fine Frenzy.  Did I succeed?



Calexico

Ok, so I hadn't made any headway on Calexico all year.  I'd totally been slacking, mostly because the only place to get Calexico's tour cds is either at a live show or ordering them from their website.

But then I found out Calexico was releasing all of their tour albums in a deluxe edition vinyl box set.  It's called Road Atlas.  And I've got en route to the crib.  So by the time the year is out I should have this one pretty much done.

Madlib

So, one of the dope things about stopping by The Sound Garden every couple of months is that I'm usually there when someone sells off a huge collection.  And that's what happened with Madlib.

I managed to find the entire Beat Konducta series as well as about half of his Yesterdays New Quintet stuff.  I got seriously Madlib-ed out for like two weeks and I was in heaven.  So, yeah, I made a huge dent in this one.

Vince Guaraldi Trio

This one was more of a challenge than I expected it to be.  One thing I didn't really factor in that, despite how awesome The Sound Garden is, in this day and age, it doesn't make that much sense to devote a ton of space to jazz.

Furthermore, finding Vice Guaraldi Trio stuff on cd isn't all that easy in the first place.  I've picked up a couple more cds but it's certainly something I'm going to have put more energy into in the future.

Anathallo

On this one I completely dropped the ball.  Anathallo once had a section at The Sound Garden.  And in that section they had both Floating World and Canopy Glow.  I really wanted to pick up Canopy Glow.  But I never did.

And now Anathallo doesn't have it's own section and Canopy Glow is nowhere to be found.  I squandered my shot and now I'm a sad dude.

A Fine Frenzy

This one really shouldn't count.  I mean she's only got two albums and I already had one.  I did get the other one, but it just doesn't feel like I did enough.

Boom, that's it.  I pretty much accomplished what I set out to do.  Calexico, Madlib, A Fine Frenzy and a pinch of Vince Guaraldi Trio.  That's really not too shappy.

2012 is right around the corner, I need to start thinking about who I'm looking invest in next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...