Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stockton California Sucks...

According to Forbes.com at least.

They noted that "Only 15% of Stockton adults have a college degree, which is one of the lowest rates in the U.S. Unemployment is expected to hit 15% in 2010, while housing prices should keep falling back to their mid-1990s level when the median home price was $130,000", all those thing placed Stockton at the top of Forbes' 10 Most Miserable Cities In The Country list.



Memphis landed at number 2 not just because there's no state income tax, but also the sales tax of 9.3% is one of the highest in the country. The biggest employer in the area with 30,000 employees is FedEx, for whatever that's worth. They mentioned it. Maybe FedEx sucks, I'm not sure.

And rounding out the top three is Chicago, which surprised me. According to Forbes, "Living costs in the Second City are not much higher than the national average, but the 10.3% sales tax is a killer and is the highest of any city. A winning Olympic bid should move along needed transportation infrastructure improvements"

So congrats Stockton, Memphis and Chicago, nice job! You can check out the rest of the list at Forbes.com.

3 comments:

  1. wow@ the freakin sales tax! I'll never complain about the 6% here in Maryland...actually, I'm a New Yorker so I never complain, but now I'll have something else to add to my list of why locals in MD shouldn't complain about the 1% increase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually shocked that Baltimore didn't make the list.

    lol @"new yorker"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im shocked that Bmore didnt make the list too. That is one of the most miserable cities to visit IMO. I dont go there unless I HAVE to

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...