Thursday, August 20, 2009

Charm City Sushi?

Every day as I'm leaving work and walking by the harbor to catch the #19 I see a sight that never ceases to amaze, startle and sicken me. That sight?

It's people fishing. In the Inner Harbor.

Let me reiterate; people are trying to catch fish that are living in the Inner Harbor.

I'll continue after you rinse that after-puke taste from your mouth.



Now for the life of me, I can't quite wrap my head around the notion that people would want to catch anything that lives in the Harbor. In fact, I'm pretty sure that just touching the "water" in the Harbor would give you some form of VD.

Now maybe the people fishing in the Harbor are just a sad reminder of our miserable economic state. I mean, I suppose in theory I could possibly be hungry enough to eat something pulled out of the Harbor. Maybe.

Or maybe these are people who rushed to Baltimore with dreams of becoming famous while following in the foot steps of Dru Hill, only to have those dreams shattered when Dru Hill ended up buried in Druid Hill Park and the Fudgery stopped taking applications.

Of course there's also the chance that these people are just trying to fish out the jewelry, wallets and personal belongs of the numerous bodies that are found in the Harbor every year.

But the other night I got to thinking; what would I do with fish that I'd gotten out of the Inner Harbor's murky depths? I came up with a few things.

Charm City Sushi – I'm a fan of sushi, so why wouldn't I try to make some out of the mutt/rat fish found in the Harbor? Sure I'm used to eating Blue Fin Tuna and Yellowtail, but who's to say that I would find a fish full of tumors savory?

Plus, these are fish that have probably feasted on the flesh of some poor fool who decided to turn State's Evidence. So really it's like the next best thing to eating human flesh. Not that I'd ever eat human flesh, but admit it; you're curious too.

Get a Pet – I'm not a pet person. Actually I'm not an animal person, so much so that I tried to represent Michael Vick in court when all of those animal cruelty charges hit. Still, I think that maybe catching a fish would soften my attitude. I was a fan of Captain Japan (Jay1's goldfish) so maybe if I caught my very own Blinky, I would warm up to the idea that animals are just for eating and wearing.

Hang with Andrew Zimmerman – Andrew Zimmerman likes eating weird things. I can't imagine anything weirder than something that could live in the toxic stew that is the Inner Harbor.

Ok, so I've actually decided to go for it. The annual Fish & Spaghetti End of Summer Cookout is coming up and I'd love the glory of throwing something that I caught on the grille. Plus that fish is either going to give someone cancer or cure it and I like those odds.

4 comments:

  1. hmmm MAYBE that's where they get the fish for the sushi sold in Lexington Market that I eat almost every day. it's actually pretty good even though it sits out from 8am until 6pm. I've even seen them take the sushi from the front counter and freshen it up by re-wrapping it. it's still damn good although my mom is convinced that I'll get worms in my brain from eating it like the people she saw on the Discovery Healthy channel o_O

    anyway, I wouldn't fish out my own child if it fell into that disgusting water! remember when the harbor smelled like rotting corpses for a few weeks earlier this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I've only been to the inner harbor a few times in my life baltimore is kind of far from home but I don't think i'd ever eat any fish that came from out of those waters.

    Using it as a pet would probably be the best way to go

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i met a guy who told me he fell in the harbor once and was able to hop right back out, so he was only in there for a few seconds, but the smell stayed on him for days he said.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...