Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pardon?

According to a story on Yahoo News:

WASHINGTON – Sen. John McCain wants a presidential pardon for Jack Johnson, who became the nation's first black heavyweight boxing champion 100 years before Barack Obama became its first black president.

McCain feels Johnson was wronged by a 1913 conviction of violating the Mann Act by having a consensual relationship with a white woman — a conviction widely seen as racially motivated.

"I've been a very big fight fan, I was a mediocre boxer myself," McCain, R-Ariz., said in a telephone interview. "I had admired Jack Johnson's prowess in the ring. And the more I found out about him, the more I thought a grave injustice was done."

On Wednesday, McCain will join Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., filmmaker Ken Burns and Johnson's great niece, Linda Haywood, at a Capitol Hill news conference to unveil a resolution urging a presidential pardon for Johnson. Similar legislation offered in 2004 and last year failed to pass both chambers of Congress...


There's more to this story, you can Read The Rest Of It Here .

I know people are excited about this, but personally, I don't see the point. Jack Johnson died almost 63 years ago! Everyone knows he got royally screwed so what good does this pardon do for him, his family or anyone?

George Dubya's pardon of John Forte is still the pardon of the year.

I think McCain is just an old dude trying to get into heaven.

5 comments:

  1. *blank stare*

    how does one pardon a dead man?

    anyway, I used to have a crush on John Forte many years ago...even though he looked like the homeless guy downtown who carries a plant around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the homeless guy downtown who carried a plant back then WAS john forte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget pardoning Jack Johnson the dead Black boxer, they need to charge Jack Johnson the white singer/songwriter for his lame laidback milquetoast melodies.

    Every one of his goddamn songs sounds the same and I'm sick of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO!!!
    ...and there goes my morning coffee spit all over my keyboard haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's awesome. i don't care if the post did it or the comments, i'm just glad to hear that we helped ruin your coffee and computer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...