Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday Munchies - Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake


It seems like Red Velvet Cake is really getting a push in the marketplace.  Cheesecake Factory has Red Velvet Cheesecake and the dessert is also offered at TGI Friday's.  Plus it's a Valentine's Day staple, or cliche depending on your perspective.

I think I'm a fan of Red Velvet Cake as I've found it's one of the few cakes that's not unbearably sweet.  Still I was apprehensive when it was announced that one of Ben & Jerry's new flavors would be Red Velvet Cake.



 In my experience, Ben & Jerry's "cake" inspired flavors are sickeningly sweet.  Their Birthday Cake flavor (which became Cake Batter) might as well be called Diabetic Coma.  And Brownie Batter is only a bit better.

I fully expected Ben & Jerry's to fumble Red Velvet Cake, making it a flavor that I'd actively avoid.

I'm happy to say that I was wrong; Red Velvet Cake is pretty awesome.

The ice cream remains true to the dessert which results in an impressive experience.  The red velvet cake batter ice cream has a smooth and evenness missing in their previous batter flavors.  The cream cheese frosting is surprisingly mellow considering who made it, but should have been expected considering the inspiration.  And the actual red velvet cake pieces are moderately sized.  I didn't find an unmanageable or overwhelmingly large piece in either serving.

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience, earning Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake the Skip Serpico Stamp of Approval. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...