Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Munchies - Lay's Kettle Cooked Creamy Mediterranean Herb



I've never been a fan of potato chips.  Maybe it's because I was raised in the American Southwest, but I've always preferred corn chips to potato chips.  I'd much rather have a Frito or Dorito over a Ruffle, despite their lack of ridges.  Maybe it's a texture thing or maybe they just come in better varieties, I can't call it.

But lately potato chips have been winning over some of the snack shelf share because of the kettle cooked kind.  I love how crunchy they are.  I've really been enjoying the Utz kettle cooked line.

So when I saw that Lay's had two new varieties of Kettle Cooked chips I knew I was going to try them out.  This week; Creamy Mediterranean Herb.





According to the bag description "real basil and oregano come together with rich white cheddar to bring the savory taste of the Mediterranean cuisine to these powerful chips."  Do they live up to that hype?

The chips are quite tasty.  I can't vouch for the veracity of the "Mediterranean" claim, but I can say that these chips taste like no other potato chip that I've ever tasted.  Basil and oregano aren't traditionally known for being strong flavors, but together they combine and really make for an interesting experience.  The white cheddar really compliments that combination nicely.

The best aspect of this flavor is that it doesn't attack the tongue.  It's not overwhelming and you never feel the need to cleanse your palate, like you often do with other snack chips.  Jay1 likened the flavor to that of bruschetta and I'm apt of concur.  Creamy Mediterranean Herb is easily the best balanced potato chips I've ever eaten.

Lay's deserves credit for taking what seems like a tough sell, flavor wise (basil, oregano and white cheddar) and creating a masterful chip.  A chip that has almost singlehandedly convinced me that potato chips are worthy of my time.

If you're looking to make an impression at an upcoming cookout or picnic you could do much worse than offering these to those in attendance.  I'm sure your guests will heap mounds of compliments on your selection.

So, um, yeah.  Lay's Kettle Cooked Creamy Mediterranean Herb may not flow from the tongue (or type easily onto a keyboard) but it's a flavor sensation you won't soon forget.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...