Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sadness at The Sound Garden


I hit up The Sound Garden today.  I really only went to pick up one album and ended up picking up an additional sixteen.  There's a thrill and rush in finding music especially when it's stuff you've always wanted to hear.

But there's also an occasional sadness that happens at The Sound Garden as well.  It happens when I comb the used cds and it really truly breaks my heart.




It happens when I see albums that I love and cherish, which other people have abandoned.  How some people feel about pets at animal shelters, that's how I feel about used cds at The Sound Garden.

I don't understand it.  It makes no sense to me.  Maybe it's the collector in me, but I could never part with any of my cds.  I really can't wrap my head around it.

It makes me wonder why someone would part with it.  Did they not like it?  Where they cash strapped?  What other albums are in their collection?  What albums did they decide to keep over this bonafide gem they sold for a few bucks?

I mean when I see a classic like say, The Roots' Game Theory, it kills me.  Part of me wants to snatch is up.  I mean, I love the album.  I could totally give it a good home.  Actually I could find it a good home; I'd probably give it away to someone who I felt would enjoy it.

And I basically feel the same way whenever I see an album by The Roots, The Beatnuts, Badly Drawn Boy or Iron & Wine.  I really want to snatch it up.  I know I've got coworkers who I'd love to expose my musical tastes to.

But on the other hand, while I'm not happy when I see the albums for sale used, I'm sort of happy that someone else is going to get the opportunity enjoy the album.  Knowing that someone else is going to find that album and that it's probably an album that they've been looking for, is sort of the rainbow on the dreary day.

I know how happy I am when I find an album used that I've been looking for and I hope that someone else feels that when they find Badly Drawn Boy's The Hour of the Bewilderbeast.

Eh, I'm probably just putting too much emotion into something that ultimately doesn't mean anything.  But that's what's on my mind today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...