Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday Munchies - Snyder's of Hanover Dips (York Peppermint & Peanut Butter Varieties)




I am sucker for an impulse buy.  When I get to the checkout at the grocery store  I'm keenly interested in what's new and what's being pushed.  Usually it's nothing that interests me, but occasionally something catches my eye.  It's how I find out about candy bars or new chips.  It's also how I found out that Snyder's of Hanover had a new line of snacks.  

Pretzels and chocolate?  Um, count me in.  I opted for the York Peppermint Pretzel Sandwich and the Peanut Butter Pretzel Sandwich.


Now, regular readers of the blog know that when it comes to snacks, there's nothing that gets me going more than salty and sweet.  It's why I dig kettle corn.  It's why I'm a fan of both Late Night Snack and Chubby Hubby.

So pretzels dipped in chocolate sound promising, no?

The first variety that I tried was the York Peppermint Pretzel Sandwich.  I found the idea of combining York Peppermint and pretzel together intriguing.  Chocolate and pretzel is old hat, but peppermint and pretzel,tell me more.

The thing that struck me immediately is that the pretzels lacked salt.  So immediately I'm disappointed.  The York Peppermint sandwiched between two pretzels and covered in dark chocolate would be so much better if the pretzels were salted.

The flavor of the peppermint overwhelms the slight flavor of pretzel.  It basically just comes off as a York Peppermint patty with a crunch.  It's cool, but not quite worth the hype.

Now onto the Peanut Butter Pretzel Sandwiches.  These were pretzel/peanut butter sandwiches dipped in Hershey's Milk Chocolate.  Again, the pretzels lacked salt and again my tongue is covered in disappointment.

But then something wonderful happens; the peanut butter shines through.  It's savory enough that it balances out the milk chocolate covering the sandwich yet still manages to have enough sweetness that you actually crave another one.

There are actually two other varieties of Snyder's of Hanover Dips that I didn't pick up because I didn't want to overwhelm my palette.  Maybe I'll cover them next week.

But for these two varieties I say everyone should give the Peanut Butter Dips a shot because they're quite good.  The York Peppermint Dips are a taste that really one the fans of the brand will enjoy.

Um, yeah, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...