Monday, December 10, 2012

Monday Munchies – Ben & Jerry’s Limited Batch Pumpkin Cheesecake


One of my all time favorite ice cream flavors was one that I stumbled across last year; Häagen-Dazs' Cranberry Pumpkin Spice.  It was a wonderful flavor that fully represented the holidays.  

Sadly it’s all gone now. But when I saw Ben & Jerry’s Pumpkin Cheesecake I actually allowed myself to get a tad optimistic about the prospect of getting pumpkin back in my ice cream and that ice cream back in my mouth. 

Did it live up to my expectations?



Well, first I’ve got to explain my expectations to you. 

They weren’t all that high.  For the most part when Ben & Jerry’s tackles a “cake” flavors they fall flat.  Cake Batter and Brownie Batter do nothing for me.  And honestly when Ben & Jerry’s decide to take on any established dessert as a flavor they only succeed about half the time. 

I’m particularly sensitive to cheesecake.  I used to work at a certain “factory” and I literally ate cheesecake every day for about half a year.  And that pretty much ruined me on cheesecake for life. 

Every now and again, I can eat it, but I’ll never crave it. 

So right off the bat, Ben & Jerry’s had an uphill battle; I swore my allegiance to a rival pumpkin flavor and I’m not really a fan of cheesecake. 

Pumpkin Cheesecake is amazing. 

It’s a really well balanced flavor.  The cheesecake flavor provides the sweetness, while the pumpkin hits the savory notes.  Neither flavor is overwhelming and they work really well together.  It’s incredibly smooth. 

And to provide some texture there’s the graham cracker crust swirl that’s found in most Ben & Jerry’s cheesecake flavors.  Again, it’s perfectly layered so that every bite contains some swirl.  There’s a hint of crunch and the graham cracker’s got a bit of spice in it that really stands out. 

For a flavor that’s really got just three simple components, it’s actually a quite nuanced flavor.

I’d recommend it for fans of pumpkin or fans of cheesecake.  Again, it’s really smooth and makes for quite the treat.  And since it’s a limited batch you may want to stock up on it for a later date.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...