Saturday, June 8, 2013

Movie Week – Good Night, and Good Luck



So, I’ll admit to floundering a bit to at this point in Movie Week.  There were three movies that I knew I wanted to watch, with two of them being a thematic double feature and the third being a movie I promised I’d watch with someone. 

I’m stuck.  But then I remember that Amazon Instant Video may have some movies that aren’t on Netflix . Might there be a film I wanted to see on that service? 

And that’s how I came up with Good Night, and Good Luck. 


Now Good Night, and Good Luck didn’t come completely out of left field; it’s one of the few films directed by George Clooney that I haven’t seen.  Oh and I’ve got a degree in English with a concentration in Journalism, so the subject matter hit sort of close to home. 

My mom watched the CBS Evening News when I was a kid and I’m old enough to have hazy memories of Walter Kronkite.  Basically I sort of hold CBS News in high regard. 

Good Night, and Good Luck provides an awesome glimpse back to a time when journalists and broadcasters had integrity.  Having read a bit about McCarthy, it’s really fascinating to see a dramatization of what things were like in that era and how much sway he held. 

The cast is a great cast.  I was pumped to see both Thomas McCarthy and Reed Diamond, two actors who played pivotal roles in two of my favorite shows, pop up early and often.  Ray Wise and Tate Donovan also impressed me.  And David Strathaim practically disappeared in his role. 

Yeah, the movie is awkwardly white and male, but that’s how life was back then. 

I liked the snapshot of one man standing up for what’s right.  And Strathaim’s delivery was perfect because that’s how Murrow sounded.  But that sound and delivery sounded so foreign and alien that it made me believe that humans have lost their ability to pay attention as generations have progressed.  I could not imagine a modern newscaster streaming together statements as long and eloquent as what Murrow produced. 

With that, Good Night, and Good Luck felt a bit too “inside baseball” and a bit like a history lesson.  I can totally see why people loved it and why it didn’t appeal to everyone.  I also completely see how people could read into the film politically. 

As much as I enjoyed it, I really don’t know if it’s a film that I really need to see again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...