Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday Munchies – Little Caesar’s Soft Pretzel Crust Pizza

It’s rare that I try a gimmicky pizza.  It’s not that I’m a pizza purist, I’m just not all that interested crusts stuffed with things or that detach to become breadsticks.  I don’t see the need for it and it doesn’t engage my curiosity.

I do like a good white pizza, but that’s as close as I get to tinkering with the format. 

But, as I’m sure you know if you’ve read a Monday Munchies before, if there’s one that I’m a fan of it’s salty.  So the idea of a pizza with a pretzel crust proved tantalizing.  And thus I went to Little Caesar’s. 

I’ll admit that Little Caesar’s holds a fond place in my heart.  When I was in high school Little Caesar’s was where we’d get pizza from when my friends and I would ditch and play video games at someone’s house.  You can not beat a $5 pizza. 

Of course I haven’t been in high school in decades and the fact that Little Caesar’s is still offering $5 pizzas raises some interesting questions.  Firstly, how have they managed to keep the price of the pizza down for two decades?  What kind of corners are they cutting and how low quality are the ingredients?  It’s seriously distressing. 

But despite their inflation proof prices, a pretzel crusted pizza proved too difficult to resist. 

According to Little Caesar’s their Soft Pretzel Crust Pizza is topped with a creamy cheddar cheese sauce, a blend of 100% real cheese and pepperoni and then topped off with a gourmet blend of Asiago, Fontina, Parmesan and White Cheddar cheeses.  I opted for a pizza sans pepperoni. 

Now that “creamy cheddar cheese sauce” sounded troubling.  Even on a white pizza, they’re just removing the tomato based sauce not really adding something else, much less something that sounds completely foreign to pizza. 

But you know what, it works.  That’s mostly due to the established combination of cheddar cheese and pretzel that works so well together.  Little Caesar’s as done an amazing job of melding a soft pretzel and a pizza together and making it work.  It’s like you’re eating a pretzel in the shape of a pizza.  And when you get to the crust, it’s like the cherry on top.  It’s so good. 

It is an undeniably cheesy pizza and the cheddar cheese sauce takes some getting used to.  Also, there’s a greater drop off in terms of taste if you do the cold pizza thing than you’ll get with a regular pie.  Still, it’s quite good and Little Caesar’s should be commended for being creative. 


Basically, Little Caesar’s Soft Pretzel Crust Pizza is worth checking out if you’re in the very least curious about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...