Thursday, February 19, 2009

…and that's no bologna

The Oscars® are Sunday and everyone's got an opinion on who's going to win what. Well given that I've seen none of the Best Picture nominees and only one of the performances nominated I'm pretty much in the dark this year.

I'm like that guy who knows a guy whose cousin once delivered a pizza to Oprah when she was still doing her local gig in Chicago. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is going to be the least informed Oscar™ opinion piece you read all year. But if you come to Fish & Spaghetti for your Oscar© buzz, then well…

Best Supporting Actress Nominees: Amy Adams (Doubt) Taraji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Viola Davis (Doubt) and Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler)

Who I Want To Win: I'm really torn. I want to encourage Marisa Tomei's excellent decision to pick strong roles that just to happen to require a significant amount of nudity (c'mon, make it three years in a row!) and I sort of have a smidgen of a crush on Amy Adams, almost. But Taraji P. Henson will always have a place in my heart. Still, I'm going with Viola Davis. I've dug her TV work and what I've seen with her film stuff.

Plus, I heard she blows Meryl away in the scene they share.

Who I Think Will Win: I think I picked right on this one. I really think that Viola Davis will get it.

Best Supporting Actor Nominees: Heath Ledger ( The Dark Knight), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt), Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder), Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road) and Josh Brolin (Milk)

Who I Want To Win: This one isn't easy either. I've been a fan of PSH for over a decade and I love the unnervingly creepy Michael Shannon (and they both killed in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead). Josh Brolin and Robert Downey Jr both won me over with their work in recent years. Still I've got to go with Heath Ledger, it was the only performance I've seen after all. Plus it truly was an amazing performance. (But if Heath wasn't here I'd go for Michael Shannon.)

Who I Think Will Win: How does Heath Ledger not win this one? It'll be the ultimate sign of disrespect.

It'd be like if the Academy got some cheap prostitute and had sex on Heath Ledger's grave. With their socks on.

Best Actress Nominees: Kate Winslet (The Reader), Angelina Jolie (Changeling), Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married), Meryl Streep (Doubt) and Melissa Leo (Frozen River)

Who I Want To Win: Melissa Leo, straight up.

She's part of the reason I'm in Baltimore (she was on Homicide: Life on the Streets, which drew me to this burg) and I think she's an excellent actress. She's why I want to see this indie flick. I've been lusting Angelina since Hackers,

but Melissa Leo deserves her moment in the sun.

Who I Think Will Win: I want to say Kate Winslet. She's O-fer. But I hear that the movie isn't that strong. Meanwhile Anne Hathaway is the reason Rachel got so much attention. I'm going with Anne Hathaway, as a sort of "sorry your love life is so royally screwed, but at least here's some professional recognition."

Best Actor Nominees: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler), Richard Jenkins (The Visitor), Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon), Sean Penn (Milk) and Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)

Who I Want To Win: I dig all of these guys. OK, I actively dislike Mickey Rourke, but that's mostly because of The Pope of Greenwich Village. Ordinarily I'd roll with Pitt or Penn just based on GP, but I'm rooting for Richard Jenkins.

I was addicted to Six Feet Under and I'm a fan of I Heart Huckabees and actually if I think about it, I've never seen him in something that I didn't like. Yeah, it's Richard Jenkins all the way.

Who I Think Will Win: I really think this is a two man race. It's Penn vs Rourke. I think that any other year they'd give it to Rourke because Hollywood loves a redemptive tale and voters would hope that, should their skeletons at some point fall out of their respective closets, they'd be allowed the second chance that Rourke got.

However I think it's Sean Penn for two reasons. 1) The passing of Prop 8 means that Hollywood probably feels the need to make some amends to their homosexual compatriots.

And secondly, Mickey Rourke making out with Evan Rachel Wood is just a bad move. Sort of like how the Academy Award Nominated Norbit destroyed Eddie Murphy's Dreamgirls buzz. Sean Penn by a nose.


Pt.2 of the least informed Oscar© predictions coming soon. Like Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Best Supporting Actress: Taraji P. Henson and I didn't see her movie, but I really want her to win.

    Best Supporting Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I know they'll give it to Heath Ledger for the same reason Jennifer Hudson won those Grammys.

    Best Actress: I don't give a shit...as long as it isn't Angelina Whorelie. I just want her to give whoever wins the side eye while clapping and doing her best fake smile. I kinda want Anne Hathaway to win so she can deliver another coke infused acceptance speech like at the Critics Choice awards.

    Best Actor: Mickey Rourke. c'mon, the man's dog just died.

    looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: Angelina - Wow! Your test results of back and there's an alarmingly high percentage of hate in your blood. Let that attractive ass woman live her life.

    First off adopting all of those third world kids is doing gangbusters on fixing her karma. Secondly she was married to Johnny Lee Miller and Billy Bob Thornton, so she knows that marriage ain't a permanent thing.

    And really, what kind of romantic lets someone's spouse get in the way of true love?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...