Friday, June 26, 2009

True Stories: Thriller



By Pinky Ring

My mom knows how to throw a birthday party.

I thought my brother was the crown prince of Zamunda when he turned 7. There was "Play Doh", face paint, action figures, gift bags, all kinds of vittles, the obligatory cake and ice cream and Michael Jackson.




My neighbor had the Thriller video on vhs and she brought it through for the kids to watch. Dad was working the grill while pontificating on the importance of well cooked meat- not caring that his jheri curl was dangerously close to the flames.

My older sister gathered us kids together while ma duke hooked up the tv sized vcr on top of the freezer sized color tv. The whole time I'm trying to figure out a way to get low so I wouldn't have to watch the video.

Dad advised me to go back inside and watch michael jackson with the rest of the kids- but after a few hits of that fire water it sounded more like "mackerel action" .Dejected- I went inside and sat down in front with the birthday boy,for the show. I have never been a fan of scary movies or monsters, etc in general.

I guess it's a combination of my sister jumping out of closets at me and grabbing my ankles as I went up the stairs as a kid and watching ghost host theater with my dad so I could be close to him.

*sigh*

So I wasn't too excited when I learned the premise of the video was this whole zombie deal. I watched the video in my periphery through my hands and got up as soon as the credits started rolling.

I haven't seen the damn video in it's true form to this day and I still don't watch scary movies. Thanks for the memories michael jackson.

-Exeunt-

5 comments:

  1. HA! I love the Thriller video, but the guy who narrates it or whatever and laughs at the end scares the shit out of me. Other than that, it's really cool.
    My sister, on the other hand, is TERRIFIED of the video. She's gonna be 28 in December and I swear, if you want to get her to scream, piss her pants, or leave the room either show her a worm/snake or put on the Thriller video.
    This chick has seen and been through all kinds of shit without flinching. like, I watched someone put a gun to her head when we were younger and she was like whatever, but this video scares the shit out of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remembered being baffled by kids my age that were afraid of thriller. but then again, i was an official horror buff by the time this video came out. i had already seen american were wolf in london at the movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jay1, nobody asked you. I wasn't scared I was just cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i understand, and i know that nobody asked me sucka. your story reminded me that a lot of kids were scared of that i wasn't. it was an observation.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...