Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Munchies - Ben & Jerry's Late Night Snack


You know those people who know a ton about wine and have no problem sharing their expertise with you? What are they called again? Oh that's right; snobs.

Well, that's how I am about ice cream. I'm like a snooty wine expert, only with ice cream, and with half the snobbery. But I still wear the monocle.

Anyway this week's edition of Monday Munchies continues with the theme of new Ben & Jerry's Flavors and features Late Night Snack.





Most of my friends know how much I love ice cream, so whenever there's an inkling of new Ben & Jerry's flavors, I get a flurry of texts. I'd heard about Late Night Snack a few days before it was announced on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, the show that "inspired" the flavor.

When I'd heard about the flavor, I'm not going to lie, it sounded like frozen perfection. Vanilla bean ice cream (my favorite variety of vanilla ice cream), with salty caramel swirl and chocolate covered potato chip clusters. What about that is not to love?

I know people who don't particularly care for ice cream and even they were enchanted by the savory mix of flavors presented.

Obviously, this was the new flavor that I wanted to try the most. Naturally it was one of the hardest to track down. When I tell you I went to three different grocery stores and five other stores (CVS or 7-11's) in two different cities trying to find this flavor, it's not an exaggeration.

I finally found it at a third grocery store (the Giant in The Rotunda, in case you're interested) and I quickly scooped up four pints.

And after fully devouring and savoring part of my bounty, I can honestly say that it's a flavor that qualifies as "great." It's one of those flavors like Chubby Hubby, that broadens the palette and the horizon in terms of what an ice cream can be.

I'm always impressed with ice cream that can be classified as savory, but Late Night Snack fits the bill. There's no mistaking that there are indeed potato chip clusters covered in chocolate throughout the ice cream. There's a crunch and there's a burst of saltiness that mixes perfectly with the chocolate covering and the vanilla ice cream. It's a very unique taste sensation and quite pleasurable.

And the balance is right on; there are enough of the clusters in the pint so that you never have to worry about taking a bite that doesn't have at least one.

On the downside, really didn't live up to the expectation I'd built up. My quest and failure to find Late Night Snack had built it up to mythical proportions in my head. So when I finally found it and had it, I expected it to be life changing, but it was just great.

If you're desperately searching for the flavor, relax and wait until a store near you gets it in stock, or you run the risk of being disappointed.

I suggest you give the flavor a try, especially if you're questioning how those flavors work together. Late Night Snack is easily the best thing that's ever been associated with Jimmy Fallon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...