Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday Munchies - Häagen-Dazs Limited Edition Blueberry Crumble



I have generally fond memories of Häagen-Dazs ice cream from my childhood.  These memories hail from a time when ice cream was licked with a tongue rather than eaten with a spoon.

Whenever Ma Serpico and I would go the Foothills Mall we would hit up Häagen-Dazs for a treat.  She's usually get Butter Pecan and I'd opt for something childish like Cookies & Cream or Strawberry. It was a nice little mother/son experience.

And since Mother's Day was yesterday I thought perhaps I'd be able to make a tangential link between those experiences and my thoughts on Häagen-Dazs Limited Edition Blueberry Crumble.

(Yeah it's a stretch, but it's I'm writing this at 3 in the morning and my logic says it's cool)





Before we get to my thoughts, here's how they describe the flavor; "simmered ripe blueberries folded into dense blueberry ice cream with rich, buttery cobbler crust crumbles."

Let me begin by confessing my surprise at how much I enjoyed this flavor.  I'm not really the biggest blueberry fan in the world.  They're acceptable and inoffensive, but I find them too small and would characterize them as "beneath my notice."

But Häagen-Dazs pull off a major coup by really knocking my socks off with blueberry.  The actual blueberries in the ice cream are indeed ripe blueberries.  They're not the dehydrated blueberries that are often found in things of the blueberry variety.  Nope, the blueberries in the ice cream are flavorful and juicy.  They almost burst when bitten.  And they're plentiful in the ice cream.

The actual flavor of the ice cream is so rich and creamy.  And again, it tastes like blueberry without a hint of anything artificial in the flavoring.  It's not overly sweet or strong.  It's very even and almost addictive.

To round things out are the cobbler pieces.  I'm a sucker for cobbler.  Cobbler is one of the desserts that I hold most precious.  Häagen-Dazs nails the cobbler.  While it may not be the bounty of cobbler that I'd have liked (but in fairness is there even such a thing as "enough cobbler) it's the quality of the cobbler that really seals the deal.  It's not soggy and it's so buttery.  Naturally it leaves you craving more while still savoring the experience you just had.

If Häagen-Dazs ever wanted to go into a side business, I'd totally support them getting in on the cobbler action.

Häagen-Dazs delivers with Blueberry Crumble.  It's flavorful and rich, while still being light and enjoyable.  With the summer upon us, it's sure to make for a refreshing snack on a dog day afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...