Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Don't Get Fleet Foxes


I like to think of myself as an open minded guy.  I'm down to try new things and I'm always on the lookout for music.  I love getting recommendations from friends and family.

I've gotten a few recommendations recently that have panned out.  My cousin recommended both Robyn and St. Vincent and I was impressed.  Unfortunately I didn't feel that way about Fleet Foxes.



I was hanging out with my cousin and he offered up quite a few different musical acts that I might be interested in.  He suggested I try out St. Vincent, Wilco and Fleet Foxes.

I'd heard him talk about Fleet Foxes before.  He seemed to be a fan, as were some other family members.  I trusted them, I mean family wouldn't betray you, right?

So I gave Fleet Foxes debut and first ep some spins.  It was a bit too slight for me.  It sounded pretty, but it really lacked the substance I wanted.  I don't quite no if I can fully quantify why it didn't click with me, but it didn't.

It's not just because they're a bunch of beardos who look like they should be occupying something. It's not because they look like they smell bad enough I'd take the stairs up six fights rather than get in an elevator with them. I'm not basing this on they're folky appearance.

Still, when Helplessness Blues came out and received universal praise, it piqued my interest.  Could I have gotten Fleet Foxes wrong?  Should I give them another shot?

Eventually I did find the sophomore release used at The Soundgarden.  And again I was disappointed.  I still couldn't hear or see what all the fuss was about.  I still didn't connect with Fleet Foxes.

Finally when the end of the year magazines came out I was excited to see what the various magazines felt were the best of 2011.  Entertainment Weekly and Paste said Helplessness Blues was the second best album last year.  Fleet Foxes also placed on the best of 2011 for both Rolling Stone (#4)  Spin (#33.)

Yo, I still don't get it.  I don't understand the allure.  I don't get why people love them.  Is it me?  Am I the one who's wrong?  Is there something wrong with my ears?

Help me out.  If you think you can explain the Fleet Foxes phenomenon please leave me a comment.  I want to get it.  I want to be down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...