Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Morning Quarterback - Channing Tatum & Bon Iver


Ok.  So I know I've ignored this blog for months, which is why I was all super proud about my Sunday Morning Quarterback post from a few weeks ago.  The kind of "proud" that a deadbeat dad must feel when he takes his kid to the movies after ignoring his kid for weeks.

And much like that deadbeat dad, when Skip Serpico hit me up to tell me he was going to miss SNL this week my first thought was, "shit, I gotta do this again?!  Didn't I just do this a few weeks ago?!

At any rate, I was actually excited to see that a new episode was coming on and even though it featured 2 two people I could care less about.

Here we go.




Our rating system as always)

Phil Hartman – Comedic gold

Chris Farley – Definitely funny, but kinda messy

Norm MacDonald – Funny, but not for everyone

Tim Meadows – Solid Bit

Andy Samberg – Funny, but overstayed it’s welcome

Jim Breuer- Crowd pleaser, but a bit obvious

David Spade – Trying too hard

Chris Elliot – Didn’t click at all, how did it get on?

Cold Open - Newt Gingrich: Moon President
Off Top, I'm glad it's not a press conference or a debate or a state of the union parody.  Its a silly fantasy sketch where Newt Gingrich plays the president of the moon.  I'm glad to see Keenan Thompson's Herman Cain again.  Even though it's a terrible impression.  meh.

Rating: Jim Breuer/Andy Samberg

Monologue - The only thing I know about Chaning Tatum is that he was in GI Joe, he's in the new 21 Jump Street movie with Jonah Hill and he's also in what could very well be the corniest love story valentines day movie ever.  I don't know the name of it,  google it if you want, all I know from the commercial is that his wife gets amnesia and he has to make her fall in love with her all over again.  It's the type of sacharine that women will drag their boyfriends to see.

Also, according to this monologue, he use to be a stripper, and the entire monologue revolves around that fact.  There are 2 mildly funny moments and now I'm filled with a strange mixture of hope and dread for this episode.  Hope that the episode will be full of great writing to balance out the fact that this dude can't act.

And dread he, knowing that he's a moderately talented mimbo, will try to perform and fall flat or he will be shirtless in every sketch or every sketch will revolve around him being a handsome dude.  Kind of like when Megan Fox hosted and her attractiveness was the punchline for every skit she was in.

The monologue ends with Channing Tanum shirtless.  This is going to be a long night.

Rating: David Spade/Jim Breuer

It's getting freaky with Cee-lo Green - Keenan Thompson does another shitty impression.  This time it's of Cee-lo.  The joke is that it's a talk show where Cee-lo talks about freaky culture with guest.  Surprise, surprise, Channing plays Matthew Mcconaughey, a famously shirtless tool.  The impression is decent and Colonel Nasty is comedy gold but little could save this contrived bit for me.  I would've preffered "whats up with that". 

Rating: Jim Breuer/Andy Samberg

NBC Football Promo Rehearsal - This is funny.  I'm not slayed.  It's solid though.  There's a few gems, it could have been funnier.  I chuckled.

Secret Word - I'm so tired of this bit.  I'm tired of Kristen Wiig.  I used to like it.  I'm just really exhausted.  It's never different.  I can appreciate a reoccuring sketch if it grows.  This is redundant and exactly what I was afraid of for this show.  That they would crowbar Channing Tatum into a bunch of reoccuring sketches.  This is the first sketch of the night, including the monologue, that doesn't have Keenan.  I miss him. 

Rating: Jim Breuer/Andy Samberg/David Spade

Bon Iver Performance #1 - I've only read his name, so I thought his name rhymed with "Don Driver".  It doesn't.  It rhymes with "Bone Repair".  This is beautiful, but shit it's making me sleepy.

Weekend Update - Guy Fiere is made fun of.  I've watched his show, so I get the joke.  He's corny and outrageous and a questionable culinary expert.  The impression is funny.  I laughed just looking at him.  Bobby Moynihan is one of my favorite cast members.  Kristen Wiig does a Lana Del Ray impression that pokes fun at the harsh backlash she got after her awkward SNL performance a few weeks ago.  I watched it  and didn't have a problem with it.

Rating: i wanna say Andy Samberg but I'm calling a FishAndSpaghetti staff meeting because we need a "came up short" and "fell flat" rating. 

Happy Bat Mitzvah - "I want to thank everyone for coming to my Bat Mitvah, and now I'd like to thank my mom who helped me choregraph this dance, and another thank you to my Sister Jordana who added some parts when my mom left the room"

Jordana is the slutty older sister and the dance is being done with, surprise, a gyrating Channing Tatum.  Yawn.

Rating: Jim Breuer/Andy Samberg

Tom Brady In Applebees - Bobby Moynihan doing an impression of his aunt and sexually harrassing Tom Brady in an Applebees.  Moynihan is a great performer.

Rating: Jim Breuer/Andy Samberg

Bon Iver Performance #2

Strip Club Sketch
Hey look, I didn't see this coming.  Jason Sudeikis Kills as the talkative strip club DJ. I don't want to spoil it if you're going to watch this on Hulu, but a midget almost breaks his neck in this bit.

Rating: Tim Meadows

Well, that's pretty much what I expected.  A moderately talented mimbo gave us a moderately entertaining episode.  When he wasn't shirtless or stripping or gyrating, he was a piece a furniture in reocurring sketches that he helped prove need to be retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...