Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sunday Morning Quarterback – Anna Faris & Drake


This is a pretty unique version of the Sunday Morning QB in that we’re looking at a rerun. But both Jay1 and I missed it the first time around, so for all intents and purposes this show is new to us.

But honestly, I may start watching reruns more often, since it’s the only time I’m going to get to see Paul Brittian now that he’s off the show. I’m really going to miss that guy. Oh well, let’s get onto dissecting a show that’s five months old.



As always here’s our rating system, for those who need a refresher.

Phil Hartman – Comedic gold
Chris Farley – Definitely funny, but kinda messy
Norm MacDonald – Funny, but not for everyone
Tim Meadows – Solid Bit
Andy Samberg – Funny, but overstayed it’s welcome
Jim Breuer- Crowd pleaser, but a bit obvious
David Spade – Trying too hard
Chris Elliot – Didn’t click at all, how did it get on

Bloomberg Addresses Occupy Wall Street – I bet this kills if you live in NYC or had a Occupy movement affect your life in any meaningful manner. I dug the political spin on NY being a trendsetter with the whole Occupy movement as well as Bloomberg throwing fellow one-percenters under the bus. Very topical then, adequately topical now. The smoking bit was funny too.

Rating: Tim Meadows

Monologue – I’ve said it before, but Q&A from the audience is one of my favorite monologues. The hardball questions were funny. Pervy Hader was funny. But the faux Anna Faris was as annoying as the real thing. The monologue could have been solid, but it fizzled quickly.

Rating: David Spade

The Manuel Ortiz Show – I genuinely enjoy the Manuel Ortiz show. I like how SNL skewers Black talk shows and Latino talk shows. I also love how convoluted the storyline gets every time this sketch goes on. Anna Faris was horrible in this sketch, but Paul Brittian’s apperance makes me like this sketch all the more. And the orderly emergency exit was funny.

Rating: Norm MacDonald, Tim Meadows

What’s Wrong With Tanya – At first I was down on this sketch. It’s another game show with Hader as the host. But the premise is hilarious. Yeah, Faris’ obvious reading her lines is annoying, but beyond that this sketch was golden. The Lifetime clichés were hilarious. I’d totally watch this sketch again.

Rating: Phil Hartman

SNL Digital Short – All of those interviews with Drake were mad funny. This is what a digital short should be; quirky. However it must be said that Drake is either a horrible actor or horrible at acting like himself. There’s also a third possibility; Drake could be naturally just unnaturally horrible.

Rating: Norm MacDonald

Yet Another GOP Debate – Here’s the thing I noticed halfway though; this was the show’s original cold open. It clearly got bumped when Occupy got ousted and Bloomberg was deemed more topical. But this sketch made it through the read-through and no one wanted to dump it. Want proof, beyond the complete lack of an ending? The lack of Anna Faris. As far as the sketch goes, Hader’s stuff fell pretty flat. It made me really miss Keenan’s Herman Cain.

Rating: Andy Samberg, Jim Breuer

Drake Performance #1 – This was just “eh” for me. That song wasn’t my favorite, and I’m a guy who loved Take Care. And as cool as it was that the visual display was synced to the performance, it was equally distracting. So while I’m glad Drake was feeling the song and performance, I really wasn’t.

Weekend Update – This was a really weak Update. I usually really enjoy Anthony Crispino, but his stuff felt really forced this time out. Seth’s jokes also seemed really visual this week. And Drake and Jay Pharoah were just annoying. The rap bits on Update never work. I know they had to justify Jay’s check this week, but keep him off Update.

Tell Him – This was a downright funny bit. It was insanely strong, and words won’t do it justice. I will say that I loved the female perspective in this bit. The writing and performances were really stellar. I was literally laughing with sound. Sadly you won’t find it online on any official website because of rights issues, but it’s worth tracking down.

Rating: Phil Hartman

J Pop America Fun Time Now – I’ve already expressed that this isn’t my favorite sketch, so I’ll skip that part. The sketch only has two redeeming elements, Sudekis as Mark Hoffman. His frustration is hilarious. Also Fred Armisen’s silent turn as the Japanese girlfriend is subtly perfect.

Rating: Andy Samberg

Drake Performance #2 – Here’s my thoughts while watching this; Can’t wait to see Nicki, can’t wait to see Nicki, Boo, she’s lip-syncing. The lip-synching was incredibly wack and I can’t underscore how wack, but the chemistry between Drake and Nicki was really cool to witness. It outshone the wackness.

Lord Cecil Wyndemere – Talk about bittersweet; I get to see on of my favorite Paul Brittian characters in a rerun after he’s left the show. This character and sketch was just perfect. Sudekis’ Gary being enamored with Cecil would have never gotten old. Paul Brittain you will be missed.

Rating: Norm MacDonald, Phil Hartman

Ferrari Calendar – This sketch, like a fine red wine, needed to breathe before it really opened up. Initially it was doing nothing for me, but the more it went on the more appreciated it. These two ladies share the DNA with Ackroyd and Martin’s Czech brothers; they’re weirdos. Again, Hader’s bits fell flat, but the skit worked. Especailly as a 5 to 1 sketch.

Final Thoughts – This was a pretty uneven episode. As much as I tried to banish all of the dreadful things I’d heard about this episode, there were certainly times I found myself thinking “yeah, I can see why it was panned. “ That said, “Tell Him” and “What’s Wrong With Tanya” were incredibly strong sketches. And again, for the record the bittersweetness of seeing Paul Brittian not only in action, but as one of my favorite of his characters was practically heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...