Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Morning Quarterback – Melissa McCarthy & Phoenix




Saturday Night Live has been pretty dismal as of late.  The last time Melissa McCarthy hosted it felt like a gimme episode.  The writers didn’t need to work because Melissa could carry anything, especially with Kristen Wiig still on the cast. 

But right about now the SNL could use a gimme episode.  I’m looking forward to this episode, mainly because I could use a laugh. 

Let’s go!


Here’s the our ever present rating system;

Phil Hartman – Comedic gold
Chris Farley – Definitely funny, but kinda messy
Norm MacDonald – Funny, but not for everyone
Kristen Wiig – So-so premise saved by performer.
Tim Meadows – Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it, dripping with adequatulence
Darrell Hammond – Funny, but overstayed it’s welcome
Jim Breuer- Crowd pleaser, but a bit obvious
Robert Downey Jr – Brilliant performer, not a lot to work with
David Spade – Trying too hard
Janeane Garofalo – Weird weird, not weird funny


Kim Jong Un – I’m really glad that Moynihan didn’t actually try to give Kim John Un a voice because last time it was pretty much an ugly stereotype.  All in all this cold open felt pretty much like filler, it was an attempt to be topical, but had zero meat.  And I’m almost positive that the fact they could get Dennis Rodman is what gave this sketch the greenlight. 

Rating: David Spade

Monologue – I really liked this.  It was a very unique monologue in that it was 90% physical comedy.  I’m usually not a fan of physical comedy, but Melissa McCarthy killed this monologue.  I love how fearless she is. 

Rating: Phil Hartman

Outside The Lines – This was surprisingly good.  The abuse worked really well with McCarthy’s improv background and it was funny.  I enjoyed it’s something that’s in the news.  I was really impressed how it went from a taped bit to live sketch and back to tape.  And I was glad it had an actual ending. 

Rating: Chris Farley

The Voice – This starts out clumsily with Taran stumbling over his lines.  He must be rusty.  I really liked Hader’s Levine and Sudekis’ Blake.  I will say that McKinnon’s Shakira was shakey, which is odd because she’s usually spot on with her impressions.  The ending was weak.  And the premise was pretty weak to.  This sketch just happened. 

Rating: Tim Meadows

Honey Baked Ham Bake Off – I loved the absurdity of it.  The play between Sudekis and McCarthy was great.  And again, her fearlessness is impressive.  I liked how amateurish the routine looked.  It felt real.  The ending was slightly corny, but overall it was a solid bit. 

Rating: Kristen Wiig

Bathroom Businessman – I enjoyed this quite a bit.  I liked the turns that it took.  The turn when Keenan was on the wrong side and then the turn when it’s actually a PSA for Decency.  It was clever, smart and ambitious.  Solid work. 

Rating: Norm MacDonald

Phoenix Performance #1 – Phoenix is one of those bands that’s perennially on my “gotta check out” list.  This song did nothing to dissuade nor encourage me.  I will say that it was dope seeing Oliver from Ink Masters during the intro. 

Weekend Update – While Seth wasn’t particularly quotable this week, Update was a success.  Three guests?!  Jacob is always pretty funny and Keenan’s Charles Barkley was the weakest and still pretty good.  Obviously Drunk Uncle killed especially when Peter Drunklage came out.  Really funny stuff. 

Million Dollar Wheel – This was slightly confusing.  Could they not do “Wheel of Fortune?”  Didn’t any one have a Sajak impression?  And does every game show sketch need to have Hader as the host?  For me the funniest part of the sketch was McCarthy lashing out at Pedrad.  But it was messy and it lacked an ending.

Rating: Jim Breuer

TD Bank – What an enjoyable sketch!  The character was fully realized and it felt slightly improvised.  I loved her handing Sudekis the pen.  And then his harsh rejection leads to her triumphant return.  This was just great. 

Rating: Chris Farley

Phoenix Peformance #2 – Now this song sold me.  I really dug it.  Seriously, this song could be the one that pushes me over into the Phoenix camp. 

The Art of the Encounter – This sketch just felt wrong.  It was nutty enough to be in the five to 1 slot, but since it relied to heavily to timing, awkward timing specifically,  it felt in danger of being cut off early.  It was quirky and funny and the performances were great.  I also liked how it gave the women time to shine. 

Rating: Chris Farley

Final Thoughts – McCarthy really blew me away tonight.  Again the writers got off easy, but the show was funny.  Obviously, the played to her strengths, but imagine if they wrote to every hosts strengths?  Next week looks promising, maybe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...