Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sunday Morning Quarterback – Kristen Wiig & Vampire Weekend



I’m not going to front; Kristen Wiig returning to host Saturday Night Live felt weird to me.  She’s not really there with anything to promote and she hasn’t even been gone a year.  There’s a hint of desperation coming from all parties involved. 

But on the plus side, there’s a chance that we might get to see Kalle again, so there’s that.  And being the optimist that I am, I believed the SNL writers would push Wiig to take some risks and we’d be rewarded with some exquisite comedy.

So, was my optimism rewarded? 


Before we get too far, let’s take a refresher course on our rating system. 

Phil Hartman – Comedic gold
Chris Farley – Definitely funny, but kinda messy
Norm MacDonald – Funny, but not for everyone
Kristen Wiig – So-so premise saved by performer.
Tim Meadows – Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it, dripping with adequatulence
Darrell Hammond – Funny, but overstayed it’s welcome
Jim Breuer- Crowd pleaser, but a bit obvious
Robert Downey Jr – Brilliant performer, not a lot to work with
David Spade – Trying too hard
Janeane Garofalo – Weird weird, not weird funny

Benghazi Hearing – Wow, this is a poorly conceived sketch that’s executed even more poorly. It’s literally like tossing two topical things, Benghazi and the Arias trial, into a blender and hoping for the best.  Thompson and Hader do their best, but the material isn’t there.  Honestly it almost feels like they either abort the sketch or someone pulls the plug on it.  That’s how abrupt the ending is. 

Rating: David Spade

Monologue – I’m a sucker for the walking monologue.  It’s one of my favorite types of monologues.  I liked how aloof Kristen was, she really sold it.  And I was fine with how sloppy it was, because she genuinely looked like she was having fun.  I could have done without Gilly, but what are you going to do? 

Rating: Chris Farley

1 800 Flowers – This is a perfectly funny bit.  It’s not insanely hilarious.  The mom dialogue is spot on and McKinnon delivers it perfectly.  This is textbook Tim Meadows.

Rating: Tim Meadows

The Californians – There’s a notion in comedy that if you say something enough times it goes from being funny, to being unfunny, back to being funny again.  For me The Californians has become funny again.  I enjoyed this sketch.  I liked how Kristen was wearing her rust and struggled to keep it together.  It’s the same old sketch with nothing new, but I dug it. 

Rating: Kristen Wiig (whoa)

Aw Nuts, Mom’s a Ghost – This slayed me.  The totally nailed the convoluted premise of a Disney show.  And the tone of the corny jokes were perfect.  And the juxtaposition between a kids show and an Asian horror movie was just a brilliant idea. 

Rating: Phil Hartman

The Lawrence Welk Show – If there was one awesome thing about Wiig leaving it was that we’d never have to suffer though this sketch again.  It may have been funny originally, but it got old quick.  And there’s no reason to dig this sketch up again just because she’s hosting.  Try doing something original!  It’s like the writers are just phoning it in.  They’re practically cutting and pasting. 

Rating: David Spade

Vampire Weekend Performance #1 – I dig the 1950’s vibe of this song.  I’ve been listening to a lot of 50’s music lately and I immediately recognized the sound.  As someone who was going to by the new Vampire Weekend album because I had their previous two offerings, this song made me excited to go and cop it. 

Weekend Update -  Ok, so it looks like I was a week off with my Anthony Crispino prediction, but he still showed up.  I like the addition of his sources, which gives the character some legs.  Cinnabon Jovi had me weak.  The bit with his voice at the end felt a tad forced, but it was ok.  I did appreciate that Update was more rapid-fire, stand-up style jokes this time out.  I thought it worked pretty well.  Of course Garth and Kat are always welcome.  Kat was one of the few of Wiig’s characters I really hoped was going to make an appearance. 

Target Lady - If there was one awesome thing about Wiig leaving it was that we’d never have to suffer though this sketch again.  It may have been funny originally, but it got old quick.  And there’s no reason to dig this sketch up again just because she’s hosting.  Try doing something original!  It’s like the writers are just phoning it in.  They’re practically cutting and pasting. 

Rating: David Spade

Douglaston Acupuncture & Wellness Center – Finally a reasonably inspired sketch.  Yeah, it’s a twist on a classic sketch, but it’s still funny.  And the gasps of the audience make it even funnier.  Yes, it’s a one-note sketch, but it manages to squeeze a decent amount of comedy from that one note. 

Rating: Chris Farley

Vampire Weekend Performance #2 – This song sounded more like stereotypical Vampire Weekend, but I’m cool with their sound so I was fine with that.  This song didn’t slay, but it didn’t disappoint either. 

Tyler & Drew’s Double Date – This sketch was genius.  It works a critique on the desperation of women and both Strong and Wiig totally sold it.  For me, the funny came from the women acting like it was a normal double date.  The mannerisms and feigned interest were great.  Robinson and Moynihan played their parts well, but again, for me the humor came from the women.  And it genuinely made me sad that the audience either didn’t get it or just didn’t find it funny. 

Rating: Norm MacDonald

Classy Sexy Elegnace – This was yet another great sketch.  This sketch was one of those sketches that has me kicking myself for not thinking of it first.  Everything worked; the autotune, the cheesy production, “Dear Craig T. Nelson.”  And Thompson could barely keep it together.  This was perfect. 

Rating: Phil Hartman


Final Thoughts – This episode, along with the Justin Timberlake episode, show the folly of falling back on reoccurring characters.  Part of what make Wiig (and Timberlake) so great is that they are game for whatever you throw at them, but the writers are just passing the ball instead of going for alley oops.  This episode is very disappointing coming on the heels of last week, which had some truly inspired sketches.  Honestly, this was one of the most uneven episode I've ever seen.  And what sucked is that the audience was taken out by mediocre sketches, which is something I've never seen.  Hopefully the season will end on a high note next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...