Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday Munchies – Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Nougat Crunch



You know how they say that every seven years you’re a brand new person because that’s how long it takes for every cell in your body to be replaced?  No?  Well how about the idea that you should try new things because your palette grows?  Well, I believe both. 

There was a time when I wouldn’t have dared to try Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Nougat Crunch.  But those days are far behind me. 


Once upon a time I didn’t like nougat.  I don’t know if it was the texture or the taste, but it did nothing for me.  You couldn’t pay me enough to eat a 3 Musketeers or Milky Way.  Those were the Halloween candies that I couldn’t wait to trade away. 

But that changed a few years ago.  A coworker brought some candy in to work and I really needed a little pick me up, so I went for the 3 Musketeers.  And I loved it. 

There was something about the texture and the flavor of the nougat that I truly appreciated.  It was marvelous and heavenly.  It was like I was tasting it for the first time. 

Chocolate Nougat Crunch is described as sweet cream ice cream with fudge covered wafer cookies and a chocolate nougat swirl.  Honestly, it sounded great. 

First off, I’m a huge fan of the sweet cream base.  Cream is one of my favorite flavors of ice cream.  The chocolate nougat swirl is plentiful, but not powerful enough to completely overwhelm the cream ice cream. 

So where does the crunch come in?  From the fudge covered wafer cookies.  But the thing is, they aren’t really that crunchy.  Everyone’s had wafer cookies and at their best they’re crisp.  But crisp isn’t really crunch.  Lettuce is crisp, but it’s not really crunch.  You’ve got to sort of mark the flavor down in regards to promising crunch. 

As a flavor it’s not terribly sweet, which is always a plus.  It’s not too chocolatey, which is a good selling point for a flavor labeled as chocolate.  And even though it got recalled last year, I still think you should give it a shot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...