Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Twitter Tuesday – The Evolution

Wow, it’s hard to believe that it’s been over five years since we at Fission Spaghetti Industries tried out Twitter Tuesday.  No joke!  The first one was 4/21/09, so long ago that not only is the image on that post gone, but I don’t remember what it was. 

(Crap! I just realized I could have done Trailer Tuesday.  Oh well, I’m already working on this.) 

I will say that despite being on Twitter for over five years, I’m still not completely sure that I’m doing it right. 

I enjoy using Twitter.  It’s a fun way to have your finger on the pulse of everything.  It’s great to see what everyone is so entertained by or enraged over.  For instance today people we still tweeting about Solange and Donald Sterling.  Of course first look at the new Batman costume, with Ben in it, was also released today.  Twitter is great for stuff like that. 

Lately I’ve been using Twitter for personal amusement more than anything else.  I’ve been on Twitter since 2008 and I’ve only got 205 followers; I’ve given up on the dream of entertaining others.  I mean, that was once a thing.  I really did want to be popular, have a ton of followers and get retweeted all the time.  It just wasn’t meant to be. 

Now I just try to have fun.  I enjoy tweeting about things like the AMC Best Picture Showcase, which is something I’ve managed to get some retweets from.  Also fellow Bronx resident Un Gajje and I have basically committed to live-tweeting season finales of tv shows that we don’t normally watch.  It’s amusement. 

I’ve got to admit that I’m sort of disappointed at how Twitter has evolved as I’ve been using it.  It used to be that tweet had a lifespan.  If I tweeted something at 11am, people might still come across it throughout the day.  It was kind of fun to watch reactions trickle in. 

But now, everything moves to fast.  A tweet has maybe a half hour lifespan.  If people don’t catch it within those thirty minutes, it’s lost.  It’s completely swallowed up by the feed.  It kills me and has me worried really trying to position my tweets, which takes some of the fun out of tweeting. 

I do still have some good convos about things.  A couple weeks back I went on a rant about a comic book and ended up sharing some good back and forth tweets about comics with people I wasn’t even following.  I’ll give Twitter that; it’s good at making connections. 

Will I even resurrect Twitter Tuesday at Fission Spaghetti?  Nope.  Back then Twitter was still very much a novelty.  Now it’s a fixture.  I also don’t have as many exploits on Twitter as I used to because I’m not on as much and because I’m much better at it. 


Still, Twitter Tuesday was fun while it lasted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...