Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday Munchies – Angie’s Holidrizzle Candy Corn Kettle Corn

I like being adventurous.  I enjoy taking chances with food.  Sometimes that’s ingesting something after it’s “use by” date.  Sometimes it’s trying something that should, by all accounts, be awful. 

I’m a firm believer in the whole risk versus reward paradigm.  It’s often yielded impressive successes, but occasionally there’s a horrible failure. 

Where does Angie’s Holidrizzle Candy Corn Kettle Corn rank? 

Since I was spending Thanksgiving with family, I opted to hit up the stores with them, which is what put me in contact with Angie’s offering.  Of course the moment I saw it I knew I’d be making the purchase. 

I know that candy corn is a pretty divisive candy.  No one saddles the candy corn fence; either you love it and it’s one of your favorite Halloween candies or you hate it and it’s very existence is something that diminishes and undermines Halloween completely. 

I don’t hate Halloween.  In fact, every year I pretend that I’m going to hit up very store and cop their candy corn surpluses at a huge discount.  I like candy corn.  I even enjoy candy corn.  But I don’t think anyone enjoys candy corn enough to eat an entire bag of candy corn.  It’s awesome in the beginning, because it’s very much a seasonal treat.  But the novelty of candy corn wears off relatively quickly and you’re left with most of the bag and an idea of trying to discover nuance within it. 

So right there Angie’s Holidrizzle Candy Corn Kettle Corn has one strike against it, because virtually no one is crying out for more candy corn.  It’s replicating a flavor that at it’s best is a niche flavor and at it’s worst is on of the least desirable of Halloween’s many candies. 

Another strike, though this is a personal one; the drizzle.  I get that it’s Angie’s shtick, they drizzle on their pop corn.  I generally don’t dig it  I’ve had several of their drizzle varieties and the drizzle is my least favorite aspect of them. 

Now onto the positives. 

Angie’s Candy Corn Kettle Corn is quite tasty.  Given that it’s Candy Corn Kettle Corn, you’d think it’s be terribly sweet, but it’s really not.  It manages to capture the flavor Candy Corn, without the overwhelming sweetness.  It’s sweet without being too sweet. 

Angie’s does do a good job of giving you the flavor of candy corn on actual (pop)corn.  It’s impressive and it flavors work well together.  You get both the flavor of the saltiness of the kettle corn and the sweetness of the candy corn, and they fit surprisingly well.  There really is a good degree of subtlety to be found in the bag. 


Of course, if you’re not a fan of candy corn, you shouldn’t even pick the bag up.  But if you don’t hate candy corn, Angie’s Holidrizzle Candy Corn Kettle Corn is worth giving a shot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...