Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Virtual Wuss



So I was perusing the local Paper and I noticed a story that listed different ways that parents can fight against “Cyber Bullying” and I had to laugh.



I just want to say that as a parent I know that there is nothing cool or fun or funny about having your kid be all sad and shit. Seriously, I understand, but when your kid is sad or stressed out because of what’s happening on his Myspace page or if you believe your kid to be the victim of what’s being referred to as “Cyber Bullying”, you’ve failed as a parent.

I mean, Cyber bullying? What is this horse shit?! Back in my day the bullies where in your face, not emailing you or making funny videos about you on youtube. You couldn’t avoid them by turning off your computer or deleting them from your myspace “friends list” because they were in your gym class and in the cafeteria, giving you wedgies and embarrassing the shit out of you in front of girls you liked and I know this because I spent time as a bully and a bully target between 3rd and 6th grade but that’s another post.

This is how the bullshit breaks down:

First: Somehow, someone coins the phrase cyberbullying
Then: A story is reported in the news about it, usually involving some story about how a kid attacked or planned to attack another kid because something said on myspace or what have you.
Then: These anti cyber bullying groups pop up talking about how they want to stop it, or fight it, or make people aware of it or whatever.
Then: Some kid gets killed and the internet is blamed.
Then: That dead kid gets a movie made about him, his mom becomes a spokesperson while his dad wants nothing to do with it because he's humiliated that his kid was not only being bullied but bullied in the comfort of his bedroom by someone 12 miles away.
Then Those anti Cyber Bullying ribbons are gonna be on cars and I’m getting booted out of message board forums for calling people names and then the internet gets banned and then it’s thunderdome.

Or something like that. Or maybe nothing like that.

At any rate, I refuse to adopt the phrase or even acknowledge “cyber-bullying” after this post, I think it’s just a silly buzz phrase and it’s indicative of how out of control the Pussification of our youth is getting.

According to StopCyberBullying.com , “Cyberbullying" is defined as:

“when a child, preteen or teen is tormented, threatened, harassed, humiliated, embarrassed or otherwise targeted by another child, preteen or teen using the Internet, interactive and digital technologies or mobile phones. It has to have a minor on both sides, or at least have been instigated by a minor against another minor.”

Isn't that just called being a kid? Kids are shitty, greedy, mean people who are rude and nasty to each other. Dealing with that builds character though.

Now I’m not gonna be a dick and pretend like I’m not aware that there have been cases where kids have committed or attempted suicide and/or homicide as a result of the stress of the internet but gimmie a break, seriously, Kids are too soft today, I see them bitching in the supermarket and I know you have too. whining and crying about nothing while thier parents coddle them. It's embarrassing.

And maybe if these kids weren’t on the internet so much that he/she considered thier online lives to be their real lives they wouldn’t be so affected by a little teasing on the computer. Or maybe it’s different today, maybe if you’re under 18 the internet is different and more stressful or maybe the line between fantasy and reality is blurrier than ever.



All I know is that while Tony Council was chasing me through the school yard I would have loved to have been able to get rid of him by pushing a damn button.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Jay1, but what about the little fuckers who bully online and you have to go to school with them? Whatever they put online is read by the entire school, (cause most of their parents let them do whatever the hell they want. A child goes to school the next day and is the subject of all types of rumors..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...