Saturday, February 21, 2009

…and that's no bologna pt 2

(Concluding my last minute look at the Academy Award nominees and my completely ill-informed, to the point of being ignorant (so don't take much stock in them), predictions of who should win)



Best Director

Nominees: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire), Gus Van Sant (Milk), Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon), David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) and Stephen Daldry (The Reader)

Who I Want To Win: Man, I really wish I'd seen one of these movies. Actually, what I really wish is that Christopher Nolan had been nominated for The Dark Knight.



But he wasn't (but he should have been!) and I really like the work of Boyle, Van Sant and Fincher.

The only reason Howard is in my good graces is because of Arrested Development and Daldry's a complete mystery. I've got to say David Fincher just because I've enjoyed his previous collaborations with Brad Pitt.


Who I Think Will Win: Boyle's got a ton of buzz. He seems like the man to beat. But I really think that Gus Van Sant is going to pull away a surprise win here.


Best Picture

Nominees: Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, Frost/Nixon, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Reader.

Who I Think Will Win: Everyone who's seen it has told me that Slumdog Millionaire is the best thing out. It's got glowing word of mouth.


And given that it's the same director who did both 28 Days Later and Trainspotting, I've got no reason not to believe them. I want to go for Benjamin Button, but that running time seems kinda steep. I'm rooting for Slumdog Millionaire.

Who I Think Will Win: Again, Slumdog has everyone talking about it. And while it's rare that Best Picture and Best Director don't follow suit, I think this might be one of those years. I'm saying that Slumdog Millionaire will take home the award.


2 comments:

  1. Slum Dog won like every award it was nominated for...except sound editing. that ALMOST made me wanna see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw that there was a bollywood type dance number at the end of slum dog and now i don't wanna see it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...