Thursday, February 10, 2011

Skip's Grammy Picks!


It's that time of year again when The Powers That Be decide to load February full of pop culture events in an attempt to take the spotlight away from Black History Month. The Super Bowl. The Academy Awards. The Napa Valley Mustard Festival.

But this Sunday we're all supposed to be distracted by the Grammys, so we at Fish & Spaghetti decided it'd only be right if we gave our picks.  I called heads.

And lost.





Album of the Year


I'll say that I find Katy Perry and Lady Gaga so overrated that I'm unsure they aren't the same person.  Lady Antebellum feels like the token Country act that gets hyped up and pushed down everyone's throats.  And I've got no clue how Eminem got nominated.  Recovery is just as dreadful as any of his other recent albums.

Skip's Pick:


Arcade Fire - The Suburbs


Best New Artist


It's a tight race between Justin Bieber, Drake, Florence + the Machine, Esperanza Spalding and Mumford & Sons.  Bieber is unbearable and Drake has over saturated the market.  I know little about Forence, so for me it's a two way race between Spalding and Mumford.  While Spalding's got a co-sign from Prince, I'm going with Mumford & Sons because I really dig their album.

Skip's Pick:


Mumford & Sons.

Best Dance Recording


I really don't care about Goldfrapp, Lady Gaga, L Roux or Rihanna.  I just want Robyn win because she kicks total ass.  Three encores!  Seriously.

Skip's Pick:


Robyn - "Dancing on My Own"

Best Alternative Music Album


This category is thick with talent.  Arcade Fire vs Broken Bells vs Vampire Weekend vs The Black Keys vs Band of Horses. I know nothing about Band of Horses, but I've got every other album.  I wasn't too keen on the Broken Bells self-titled offering.  But Arcade Fire and The Black Keys made my best of the year list and Vampire Weekend's Contra is really quite strong.  There's really not a loser in the bunch.

Skip's Pick:


The Black Keys - Brothers

Best Rap Solo Performance
For me this is a two horse race; Eminem vs Kanye West.  Personally I think Em's overrated, but he's the only thing standing between Kanye and a win.  T.I., Ludacris and Drake are just there to fill things out.  Em will probably win.

Skip's Pick:


Kanye West - "Power"

Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group


I'm of the mind that there are really only three contenders in this category; Drake's "Fancy", Jay-Z's "On to the Next One" and Ludacris' "My Chick Bad" (but mainly for Nicki Minaj.)  Jay's offering is "eh" and Luda only gets the nod for Nicki.  That leaves Drake.

Skip's Pick:


Drake, T.I. & Swizz Beatz - "Fancy"

Best Rap Song


Wait, Em and Jay-Z both get two nomination? And B.o.B. plays the odd man out? Have I mentioned how overrated Eminem is?  And I've got a choice between Jay's collabo with Mrs. Swizz Beatz or with Mr. Alicia Keys?

Ugh. Count on Em to win.

Skip's Pick:


Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys - "Empire State of Mind"

Best Rap Album


Finally this whole sham nonsense has come to an end.  B.o.B. and Drake are the rookies.  Jay-Z and Eminiem are the heavyweights.  The Roots are the critical darlings.  B.o.B. could probably take this one.  Em probably will because they seem to love the phrases containing the words "Grammy winner" and "Eminem."

Skip's Pick:


The Roots - How I Got Over

And thus ends the F&S Grammy Picks.

Next year I'm going to make sure Chet takes a smaller class load.

This really is some intern busy work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...