Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Munchies – Steve’s Sweet Corn & Blackberry Preserves

This is what an empty container looks like

Obviously I love ice cream.  I’m pretty sure at least fifty percent of Monday Munchies have been ice cream related.  Ice cream is almost part of my daily routine.  But I’m also a fan of corn. 

I love corn the way Bubba loves shrimp.  I love popcorn.  I love corn on the cob.  I love kernels.  I’m even cool with it as an component of succotash.  My family roots goes back to Iowa, so corn is in my blood. 

Naturally seeing a sweet corn flavored ice cream got my engines flowing. 
I first became acquainted with Steve’s ice cream when I first moved to NYC.  I stopped into Whole Foods and while looking for my regular Ben & Jerry’s my gaze fell to some of Steve’s more unique flavors. 

If I recall correctly, the first flavors of Steve’s that I tried out were Nola Iced Coffee & Donuts and Strawberry Ricotta.  I like to think that I’ve tried out every flavor I’ve been able to get my hands on.  Some I really enjoyed (Salty Caramel, Brooklyn Blackout) and others I enjoyed less so (Small Batch Bourbon Vanilla.) 

Steve’s is a small brand that’s trying it’s best to make a name for itself.  And it’s doing an impressive job of it.

The awesome thing about Steve’s flavors is that none of them are too sweet, and this one is no different.  The ice cream is clearly sweet corn ice cream.  It tastes like sweet corn and there are even kernels mixed in (more on that later.)  But ice cream lacks any of the sugary sweetness that’s found in most ice creams. 

The texture may take some getting used to for some people.  The aforementioned kernels can be surprising., especially because it’s a texture not usually found in ice cream.  As someone who loves corn, I really appreciated it, but I can see how some might be put off by it.  Additionally blackberry seeds are also present and can get caught in the teeth.  Again, I knew what I was getting into, but I can see how some might find it as an annoyance. 

I love a unique flavor of ice cream, but Sweet Corn and Blackberry Preserves might be a bit too unique for some people. It also might be a bit too expensive; Steve’s runs higher than other name brands.  Still, I recommend trying it out, especially if you’ve got an adventurous palette.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...