Thursday, April 7, 2011

Five Musical Acts I'm Trying to Get Up On in '11



I know, I know, it's already April, it's way late to be announcing who I'm trying to be down with this year.  Yeah, it's true, but what are you going to do?  It's like a New Year's Resolution; if you don't announce it, there's nothing holding you do it.

And I generally do a pretty good job of diving headfirst into artists.  For instance, last year I got into Kings of Leon, The Avett Brothers, Ben Kweller, M. Ward and The Black Keys.

But 2011 is a new year, so I've got to cement who I'm trying to get down with this year.





Calexico

I got interested in them because of their collaboration with Iron & Wine.  Then I found out that they're from my home town of Tucson and I heard them covering Arcade Fire, which got me completely sold.

I've picked up most of their LPs, but I'm still tracking down EPs and their tour cds.  I really dig their sound and not just because it reminds me of home.  I really like how big their sound is. They sound like an actual band. I wish they'd find a larger audience and get some mainstream success.


Madlib

I've been meaning to get into Madlib for years now, but I never really found the time.  Well now I'm making the time.  I've got nothing but the utmost respect for the guy and I associate his name with quality and a sound that I like.  I really regret that I've waited this long to capture his catalogue.

I've really only got his Dilla and Doom collaborations and his Lord Quas stuff.   And he's easily one of the most proficient artists working in Hip-Hop today.  He's got tons of music out there under a variety of different aliases.  But tracking all that stuff down will be half of the fun.


Vince Guaraldi Trio

Over the past few years I've slowly been delving into Jazz.  This winter, during the holiday season, I realized how much I really enjoyed the sound of the Vince Guaraldi Trio and that I wanted to hear more of it.

Currently ninety percent of the Vince Guaraldi Trio stuff that I have is Peanuts related and not that it's not awesome but I'm trying to venture out this year.  I really want to see what else this group had to offer.


Anathallo

Years ago I came across a Anathallo song on a Paste Magazine (R.I.P.) sampler.  And from that point on I'd always carried them in the back of my mind as a bad that I needed to get into.  But it was only one song and they never really leapt to the top of my "must" list.

But a couple of months ago I did pick up their Floating World and I was slayed.   They have officially leapt to the top of my "must" list.


A Fine Frenzy

I can distinctly recall when she was being hyped as the next big thing, which instantly made me want to ignore her.  I'm not really a fan of overhyping or being told what to like.  I was stupid.

Well, eventually I came around.  I picked up Bomb in a Bird Cage and was really impressed. (I was going to say "blown away" but I'm not really in a pun-y mood today.)   She's definitely an artist that I want to support.  She sort of fills that whole Fiona Apple void, only more upbeat.

Also, I've a slight thing for redheads.

(Man, I've really got to come up with a closing of some sort.  Something that I can use for everything, because I always come to the end and try, unsuccessfully to squeeze something out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...