Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday Munchies - Häagen-Dazs Limited Edition Caramel Apple Pie




In addition to my love for ice cream, I love pie.  One of the things I miss most about living in Las Vegas is Marie Callender's.  Y'see, twice a year Marie Callender's would have a sale on pies.  During those sales I'd literally have three pies in my refrigerator at all times.  And I'd usually have two slices a night.

Good times.

Charm City is severely lacking when it comes to Marie Callender's.  But thankfully the fine folks at Häagen-Dazs have offered up some pie themed flavors for their Limited Edition line.  This week we cover Caramel Apple Pie.





The basic overview of the flavor is apple ice cream, with a caramel swirl and chunks of apple and pie crust thrown in for good measure.  Sounds pretty interesting, right?

I was sort of apprehensive because I was worried that the apple ice cream would be a bit much to take.  To me it sounded like one of those flavors works better in moderation, like if you were sharing with someone or having a cone, not necessarily an entire bowl on your own.

Thus, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the actual ice cream component.  It's the standard creamy richness that you expect from Häagen-Dazs.  And while you might expect it to be really sweet, it's not overwhelmingly sweet, which again, was a surprise.

And while the apple and pie crust chunks aren't as abundant as I'd have liked, they were present and they added quite a bit to the overall experience.  The apples are crisp and bring additional  and genuine apple flavor to the mixture. The pie crust chunks are the true delight; buttery and equally crunchy.  Every time one enters your mouth, it's a treat.

The caramel swirl almost seems like the parsley garnish to the flavor.  It's not really noticeable and doesn't perceivably add anything.  I suppose it may add some sweetness, but in terms of flavor, it's overwhelmed by the apple in the ice cream.

At the end of the day Caramel Apple Pie is a pretty good flavor, but it's definitely flavor you want to eat in moderation.  It seems like one of those flavors that you'd hear stories about people making themselves sick by eating too much of it.

But I must say that I'm not a fan of Häagen-Dazs' new serving size.  Allow me to add my voice to the choir; Häagen-Dazs, you're skimping on the ice cream and it's way too noticeable.  It's glaringly less than I'm used to getting and you're better than that.  Fix it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...