Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday Munchies - Magnum Almond



We've already established that I dig ice cream, right?  Well, there's an addendum attached to that; I'm not really a fan of the handheld variety of ice cream.

That stems from my childhood in Tucson.  Tucson is hot, which causes ice cream to melt.  Ice cream cones, bars and their ilk all tend to get very messy during Tucson summers.  As a result if you get one of those novelties you're faced with either devouring it and suffering an ice cream headache or eating at a leisurely pace and creating a sticky mess.

So, when I saw the new Magnum Almond, I felt the pangs of interest and trepidation.





The bar is advertised as vanilla bean ice cream dipped in Belgian chocolate with almonds.  For me the selling point was the vanilla bean ice cream (which I've mentioned is probably my favorite type of vanilla ice cream) and the almonds.  I'm not really that into chocolate, so I don't know that the big deal about Belgian chocolate is.

Eating the ice cream bar I was surprised at how underwhelmed I was.  The chocolate tasted more rich than your typical ice cream novelty, but I wouldn't describe it as elegant, which is how I'd describe the packaging and marketing.



The thing comes in a gold package for goodness snakes!  And when you factor in that there are only three bars in a box, you begin to wonder what all the fuss is about.  It tasted better than most ice cream bars, but not enough to justify the expense.



Plus the bar itself really isn't that large.  Just looking at it you feel like you've been conned.

And the name just strikes me as odd.  "Magnum?"  "What would you do for a Klondike bar" is a decent slogan.  It's mildly suggestive, but could be played in humorous ways.

But "Magnum" brings up an entirely different connotation, which means there are a ton of slogans I don't want to see and will never use.

"I can't wait to get a Magnum in my mouth."

"I want a Magnum between my lips."

"I could go for a mouthful of Magnum right about now."

"Sink your teeth into a Magnum."

"Magnum, it's ok to suck, bite or lick."

"Magnum; now with more nuts."

At the end of the day Magnum creates an average ice cream bar experience out of above average ingredients.  You can still lead a full and balanced life if you never experience a Magnum Almond

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...