Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Trailer Tuesday  - Spider-Man, The Muppets, Sherlock Holmes and Mission: Impossible



Breaking Bad is still awesome.  I think people are pretty much divided between Team Gus and Team Hank.  Also, Jay1 pointed out that this was the second week in a row where Skylar's scenes felt like they were missing a laugh track.

Anyway, this week's batch of trailers came from my recent trip to the movies.  And honestly, if the movie theater put together reels of trailers, I'd probably pay to watch them.  I dig trailers that much.  




 
Amazing Spider-Man

What They Say: Um, it's Spider-Man

Reasons To Pay:  Peter Parker. Gwen Stacy. Curt Connors. Plus you've got actors like Martin Sheen, Campbell Scott and Andrew Garfield.  The story looks solid and the special effects seem fluid.

Reasons To Stay:  I may still be suffering from my current bout of Emma Stone exhaustion. I'm not really a fan of fanboys.

At The End of the Day: I'm totally there!


The Muppets

What They Say:  Muppet fanboy Walter and this two pals Gary (Jason Degel and Mary (Amy Adams) try to save Muppet Theater from the plans of evil oilman Tex (Chris Cooper.)  Also, Walter is a muppet.

Reasons To Pay: Um, I grew up on The Muppets.  I love The Muppets.

Reasons To Stay:  I grew up on The Muppets.  I love The Muppets.  These don't feel like The Muppets.  And no one can possibly redeem Starship's "We Built This City." What were they thinking?

At The End of the Day: I really think I'm going to have to pass on this one.  As much as I love The Muppets, I'm genuinely worried about having my cherished memories brutally violated by this movie.


Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

What They Say: Holmes (Downey) and Watson (Law) square off against Moriarty (Jared Harris)

Reasons To Pay:  Jared Harris, who's easily one of the best parts of the first season of Fringe and the fourth season of Mad Men.

Reasons To Stay: It seems a bit too cutesy for me.  I still haven't fully embraced Robert Downey Jr as bonafide lead.  Remember when Chris Rock poked fun at Jude Law during the Oscars? I still haven't recovered Law's omnipresence.

At The End of the Day: I didn't see the first one, which puts me behind.  However Jared Harris is awesome and his presence in the new Sherlock Holmes could be enough to get me to get up to speed.


The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

What They Say: Nothing. Seriously, the Apple trailer just talks about how it's the first of Columbia Pictures three film adaptation of a literary blockbuster that's sold 50 million copies in 48 countries.  And that it's directed by David Fincher and the screenplay is by Steven Zallian.

Reasons To Pay:  Christopher Plummer and Stellan Skarsgard look awesome.  Karen O and Oscar winner Trent Reznor collaborating on a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" is an awesome selling point.

Reasons To Stay:  Rooney Mara looks scary.  Like really scary.  I'm also assuming this movie will be horribly overhyped.  Having to rub elbows with bookworms in what I'm anticipating will be a packed theatre.

At The End of the Day: I haven't read the books, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the Harry Potter franchise.


The Sitter

What They Say: I actually couldn't find a recap, but it seems like a retread of Adventures in Babysitting only as a sophomoric comedy.

Reasons To Pay:  I like comedy.  This appears to be a comedy.

Reasons To Stay:  It's paint by numbers ranges from predictable (babysitter amusingly threatens kids) to offensive (it's funny when white people talk "Black" and the adopted Latino kid teeters on stereotype.) Seriously, I was squirming in the theater, during the trailer.

At The End of the Day: It's bound to have some funny moments.  I just don't know if I'll see any of them.


Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 

What They Say: The IMF is implicated in a terrorist plot.  Ethan goes rogue  with new team to clear IMF's name.

Reasons To Pay:  The action looks dope.  I've been a fan of Jeremy Renner since 2003.  Paula Patton is still hot.

Reasons To Stay:  I still remember Tom Cruise Running (aka Mission: Impossible III).  I'll never forget that movie.

At The End of the Day: I could probably be dragged to see this movie.  But torch passing sequel tend to disappoint.  This is tough.

The End.

Next Week: Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...