Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sunday Morning Quarterback – Jonah Hill & The Shins


Jonah Hill is having a huge year.

I'm happy for him...I guess.

I'm at the very least happy to see him on SNL again. I think. I don't really remember how he did last time, which could be a good or bad thing. At the time of the show I really struggled to try and recall if he in fact ever hosted at all.

At any rate, everyone at Fish And Spaghetti Manor were cautiously optimistic about SNL this week, I mean if they could make a solid episode with Lindsay Lohan then an episode with a legit comedic talent like Jonah Hill should be a home run right?




For those of you just joining us, our rating system is as follows:

Phil Hartman – Comedic gold
Chris Farley – Definitely funny, but kinda messy
Norm MacDonald – Funny, but not for everyone
Tim Meadows – Solid Bit
Andy Samberg – Funny, but overstayed it’s welcome
Jim Breuer- Crowd pleaser, but a bit obvious
David Spade – Trying too hard
Chris Elliot – Didn’t click at all, how did it get on

Cold Open: Rush Limbaugh's New Sponsors - Tarran Killam does a really solid Rush Limbaugh, the bit revolves around the fact that Limbaugh just lost dozens of sponsors because people happened to be listening to him when he was being Rush Limbaugh the other day. 



He's giving shout outs to all his new sponsors like "Shermans Imitation Mayonaise", the "Loose Marshmallows", and "Mosquito Breeders Of America" and other ridiculous companies that all have hilarious slogans attached to thier brands.  I wont spoil the good ones if you're considering watching online or on your DVR or whatever.

Rating - Tim Meadows

Monologue - Wow, he really put a lot of weight back on.  They either loosened his lap band or he's cutting back on the coke parties.  He's funnier already.

After throwing some post Oscar salt on Christopher Plummer and Billy Crystal he tosses to a filmed bit that's supposed to show us how he's "back to his normal self" but it ends up showing him as a pretentious, out of touch "Hollywood" asshole in the funniest way possible.


Tom Hanks pops up to sort of acknowlege that Jonah is now a member of the "comedian turned Oscar nominee" club.  It's always nice to see him on SNL. 

Rating - Tim Meadows

Adam Grossman, 6 year old - Oh, ok, now I remember the last time Jonah Hill hosted because he did this character last time.  Its a very solid reocurring character. 


A 6 year old Jewish child who speaks like a nightclub comic from the 50's.  Seeing the host carry a sketch like this reminds me of Alec Baldwin or John Goodman and it's now occuring to me that Jonah may be one of those actors that could be a cast member.  Now the hopes for tonights show are completely and totally unfairly high.

Rating - Phil Meadows (not a typo)

Digital Short:Science Finders - It starts like a spoof of those crazy science shows like "Myth Busters" or "Deadliest Warriors" or whatever, then it does something else and Keenan is wearing the blonde wig that he wore in last weeks Digital Short.  Meh?


Rating - David Spade/ Norm MacDonald

Michigan State Campus TV Presents J-Pop America Fun Time Now - I know people like this exsist because I use to work at a resturant that you HAD to walk past in order to get to the Baltimore Convention Center and I worked during Otakon in Baltimore so I'm familiar with the Japanese obsessed. 


Also Jonah Hill starts cracking up and that's always fun.

Rating - Tim Meadows
The Shins Performance 1 - Solid, I would download this.  Also it's nice and short.  I love a song that doesn't overstay it's welcome.


Weekend Update - A solid Paula Deen performance, a wacky/meta Sarah Palin and Stefan.
And Bill Hader breaks (again) and has a hilarious reaction to his break.  Classic.


Rating - Tim Hartman
Primate Research Center - One of the funniest sketches I've seen all season.  At least all season. There's a talking monkey, that's all I'm saying.



Find it online and enjoy. 

Rating - Phil Hartman

Side bar, there were a bunch of cool commercials too.  The new Will Ferrel movie looks funny, there was a trailor for the new season of community showcasing meta jokes about how they were cancelled or something and I really like the song in the new Internet Explorer commercial.  I heard it a few weeks ago randomly on Pandora, It's Alex Clare's "Too Close".  Now it's stuck in my head.

Anyways...

Liza Minnelli Tries To Turn Off A Lamp - I like how we're still making fun of Liza Minnelli.  I miss "Arrested Development".  Anyway you can imagine, it's "Liza Minnelli Tries To Turn Off A Lamp, and she flops around the room incoherently, it could have easily been called "Kristen Wiig Tries To Contain Herself during a sketch.


This bit is a Kristen Wiig bit.  Just look at the picture! Kristen Wiig is about to get her own rating.  This bit is so nutty I had to check my watch to see that it wasn't 10 to 1 already.

Rating - Kristen Wiig

The Shins Performance 2 - If this song hasn't already been in a dozen movie trailors or romantic comedy soundtracks it's going to be.  Also, dude on the piano is the shit.

Happy Anniversary - Silly, I want to give it props for being ambitious.  I was going to shit on it, but the second time I watched it I appreciated that the entire cast was involved the main characters all did a solid job.  This is like a season finale type bit.


Now I look and see that it's 12:55 and I'm re-evaluating this whole thing and oh snap! That thing at the end that they did?  I've never seen that, and I love seeing new stuff on snl.   

Rating - from David Spade to Andy Samberg to a surprising Tim Meadows.

Wow, when @SkipSerpico watched the brilliant Maya Rudolf episode I was salty and jealous.  But he couldn't catch the show last night so now I have this, which is either in a tie or at the top of the list for episode of the year.

Really solid stuff all night from top to bottom.  Worth Hulu'ing if you missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...