Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday Munchies - Ben & Jerry's Limited Batch Rocky Road-ish



For me Ben & Jerry's Limited Batch flavors are a bittersweet proposition.  By their nature, they tend to be elusive.  They seem to be there one minute and gone the next, which can be torture when you're dealing with a flavor that you love.

On the other hand they can also merely adequate, which means they're taking up shelf space of other flavors that you enjoy more, in which case their limited appearance is a plus.

So which side does Rocky Road-ish fall on?  Let's find out.



Before we get too much further, allow me to voice some biases.  I'm not a big fan of Rocky Road.  In fact it wasn't until the last few years that I've come to appreciate what it offers as a flavor.

Also, I'm not really a big fan of marshmallows.  I didn't go camping and I grew up in a warm climate where hot cocoa seemed kind of pointless.  What else does anyone use marshmallows for?

Oh, I guess I enjoy Rice Krispie Treats.

Right off the bat something struck me about the flavor of the ice cream.  I knew it was marshmallow, but something was different.  I looked at the container and there it was bright as day; "Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream."  Those mad scientists at Ben & Jerry's found a way to recreate the flavor of toasted marshmallows.  Diabolical.

So, while I may not have been a fan of marshmallows or had too many experiences camping, I've had toasted marshmallows, and they are awesome.  Rocky Road-ish tasted just like toasted marshmallows.  It's incredible.

It also has a tasted marshmallow swirl and fudge covered almonds.  The fudge covered almonds works well with the ice cream on two levels.  First the flavor of the fudge really shines in contrast to the flavor of the ice cream.  It's has quite a burst.  Secondly, the almonds give the ice cream some much needed texture and a nice crunch.

The marshmallow swirl gives a different texture, but doesn't really add too much overall and while it doesn't get lost in the mix, it also isn't a necessary component.

Another thing about Rocky Road-ish is that it's not terrible sweet.  It's got sweetness, but it's not over the top like some of Ben & Jerry's cake flavors.  It's a flavor that, while I couldn't eat every day, I would certainly look forward eating it.  It could possibly even fill a craving.

So basically I will miss Rock Road-ish when it leaves in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...