Monday, November 19, 2012

Monday Munchies – Ben & Jerry’s Limited Batch Cannoli


I always love when Ben & Jerry’s announces new flavors.  It’s a treat to try to go out and find them.  And it’s a joy to sample the flavors and see what I love and what I loathe; it seems for every Rocky Road-ish there’s a Fair Goodness Cake. 

And the announcement of Cannoli certainly got my attention.  I wasn’t really up on my ice cream game when Holy Cannoli came out back in 1997, but based on what I’ve read up about it, it seems like something I’d dig. 

So, I was eager to taste the remix. 



Cannoli is described as “mascarpone ice cream with fudge covered cannoli pastry shell chunks and a mascarpone swirl.”  Unfortunately I didn’t really have a clue what mascarpone is. 

As an avid watcher of Top Chef, I’d heard the word, but I’d never actually tasted mascarpone, so I had no clue what I was getting my tongue into. 

(It turns out mascarpone is a cheese and as a cheese lover, this is a plus.) 

Hands down, Cannoli is one of my favorite flavors on the market right now.  Maybe it’s because of my ignorance of the flavors going that allowed me to try it with an open mind, I really don’t know.  But I do know that I was blown away. 

The mascarpone ice cream is so incredibly smooth.  And it tastes like nothing I’ve ever had before.  There’s this fullness to the flavor that exists without being overpowering.  And it’s not sweet, it’s just sort of rich. 

If I had describe it, I’d say that it tastes sort of like sweet cream ice cream, only without the sweetness.  But it’s definitely one of those flavors that you can pound away without becoming tired of the taste. 

The fudge covered cannoli pieces are perfectly plentiful.  They provide great texture and round out the experience with both a crunch and some sweetness.  Though, I’d still be raving about Cannoli in the absence of the cannoli pieces. 

But what’s really awesome about Ben & Jerry’s Cannoli is that it’s opened me up with mascarpone, which is something I’ll certainly be on the lookout for. 

If you get a chance to grab some Cannoli from your local grocery store, I highly recommend it.  Especially if you’re like me and appreciate an ice cream flavor that isn’t overly sweet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...