Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday Morning Quarterback – Louis C. K. & fun


I had high hopes for this episode of Saturday Night Live.  It wasn’t just because Louis C. K. was hosting and he’s about as funny as a comedian can get.  And it wasn’t because the last few episodes of SNL have been dismal at best. 

It was also because, despite the Sandy giving me a three-day workweek, it felt like the longest week ever and I really needed to believe that comedy could live.  I needed this episode to remind me that comedy was still possible. 




Before I get into the dissection of the episode, let’s get a look at our trusted rating scale;

Phil Hartman – Comedic gold
Chris Farley – Definitely funny, but kinda messy
Norm MacDonald – Funny, but not for everyone
Kristen Wiig – So-so premise saved by performer.
Tim Meadows – Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it, dripping with adequatulence
Darrell Hammond – Funny, but overstayed it’s welcome
Jim Breuer- Crowd pleaser, but a bit obvious
Robert Downey Jr – Brilliant performer, not a lot to work with
David Spade – Trying too hard
Janeane Garofalo – Weird weird, not weird funny

Bloomberg Press Conference – This was really well done.  It was something everyone was talking about the entire week.  How could SNL not do the sign language interpreter?  The Chris Christie bit took it to the next level, though it was challenging to watch because both Moynihan and Pedrad were equally deserving of attention.  And of course Bloomberg’s Espanol was spot on. 

Rating: Phil Hartman

Monologue – Can I just say I loved how it was an actual monologue?  I loved Louis with the mic.  I loved how he grabbed his bottle of water.  I am curious what got cut for the lengthy monologue though.  I’m sure some writer is torn between cursing Louis for bumping their skit and bragging that it was their sketch that was sacrificed so Louis could have a proper monologue.

Rating: Phil Hartman

Fox & Friends – You know honestly, I found Sudekis’ Trump to be merely adequate. While it was weird to hear Louis a) do a character and b) do a voice, the whole foundation of the sketch was less than funny.  It really did nothing for me. 

Rating: Jim Breuer

Lincoln – I thought they’d be foolish if they didn’t try something like this, but I had no idea they’d be this ambitious.  Obviously it was perfectly done.  But it was so ambitious and funny.  This was easily the high point of the night. 

Rating: Phil Hartman

Australian Screen Legends – I truly loved this sketch.  I loved premise of the bluntness and lack of nuance in Australia.  It tickled me. 

Rating: Norm MacDonald

fun Performance #1 – I’m not a fan.  I haven’t heard a fun song yet that I truly enjoyed.  I’ve never liked this song.  I really don’t dig the lead singer’s Lloyd Dobler-esque trench.   I will say that the band’s energy is dope. 

Weekend Update – Sudekis always nails Mitt Romney and tonight was no exception.   I really loved Seth’s line about a the Pennsylvania thief who stole a “little me time.”  Kourtney Barnes, the social media expert was cool, but I don’t see how she could come back.  Meanwhile “the girl you wish you hadn’t started a conversation with at a party” was pretty funny, but in a “feminine remix of Drunk Uncle” kind of way.  I mean, we can all see that, right? 

Zoog – From jump I could see that a) the horn was going to be reoccur and b) it as going to cause Louis problems.  Kate McKinnon’s uneasiness was very entertaining, almost to the point of distraction.  Louis’ frustration with having the timing off and the mundane lives of the village folks were both equally funny. 

Rating: Chris Farley

Hotel Checkout – This was a really funny skit and almost a throwback to an earlier incarnation of the show.  Basically just a two-person scene.  The charges were hilarious and Louis’ delivery was perfect.  The line about Argon the noble gas being odorless and colorless, and thus how could he know if he got it, slayed me.  And then the circular nature of the sketch put it over the top. 

Rating: Phil Hartman

fun Performance #2 – The best part of this performance was whatever happened between Louis and whoever was off camera before they were back on air.  Seriously that song did nothing for me.  But I bet if you’re a fan of that song, that was an awesome performance. 

Last Call – This was great.  The fact that Louis was so clearly off script and McKinnon was trying her best to stay on script and not crack up really impressed me.  That kiss was epic and the wipe-down was just  perfectly done and so real.  I also dug the faux ending.  This was a pretty decent five-to-one sketch. 

Final Thoughts – This was easily the best episode in recent memory, at least in the last month.  Granted they had the advantage of having Louis C.K. who’s already funny, but everyone really stepped up.  It looked like Jay Pharoah was off doing something else, because he was only in the filmed bit.  But everyone really did a great job.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...