Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday Munchies – Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Peppermint Crunch



The funny thing about doing Monday Munchies is the little revelations.  Case in point; my lack of love for chocolate has come up a few times in the past.  It stems from my upbringing in Tucson. 

Y’see Tucson is mighty warm and chocolate tends to melt.  And I’m not the type of guy who cares for a messy snack. Thus I tended lean towards fruity candy like Skittles and Starburst. 

But that's the thing; the past really does inform the present.  

But a new Ben & Jerry’s flavor is a new Ben & Jerry’s flavor. 



Chocolate Peppermint Crunch .  That name alone holds such promise.  Maybe it’s got pieces of peppermint (which would be awesome!)  Maybe the ice cream is peppermint (even more awesome!) 

Sadly it’s neither. 

It’s described as chocolate ice cream with peppermint and fudge swirls and mint chocolate cookie balls.  Nothing in that description really strikes my fancy.  I think the last chocolate based ice cream that I truly loved was Chocolate Macadamia and that was many moons ago. 

That said, I’ve been known to have the occasional craving for York’s Peppermint Patties.  So I guess that’s one mark in the favor of this flavor. 

Unfortunately the flavor lives up to my preconceptions about it.  The chocolate ice cream base is overpowering.  The fudge swirls get completely lost and the peppermint swirls barely register.  The chocolate cookie balls add texture, but nothing in terms of flavor. 

Chocolate Peppermint Crunch is a flavor that’s recommended for lovers of chocolate only, because unless you really love chocolate you really won’t get much out of this flavor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...