Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday Munchies - Vosges Barcelona Bar


I never really got into chocolate.  I'm pretty sure it's because I'm Tucsonan born and raised.  I've been out and about in 117 degrees.  I know how to handle the heat.

(Better than the Dallas Mavericks. HEY-O!)

I'm 99% sure that I've got a memory buried in my mind involving chocolate I wanted to save for later, my pocket and a resulting mess.  So chocolate was never my sweet of choice.

But last year my cousin introduced me to the Barcelona Bar from Vosges.



Now, for the uninitiated, the past few years there's been a real push for high end chocolate.  Chocolate has been designated something that you should be allowed to treat yourself to and as such chocolate bars have become more exotic.

Vosges have built a following with their unique and attention grabbing flavors.  The most popular is Mo's Bacon Bar, a  deep milk chocolate bar with Applewood bacon and Alderwood salt.  But they've got a variety of bar including "Black Pearl Exotic Candy Bar" a dark chocolate bar with ginger, wasabi and black sesame seeds.

Naturally the bars are expensive.  Like $7.50 for a 3oz bar, expensive.

And the Barcelona Bar is totally worth it.

Allow me to describe the bar for you.  It's a deep milk chocolate bar that's 45% cacao.  It's got hickory smoked almonds and sea salt.  I know, I know it sounds very basic, but those components combine into a sensational tasting experience.

The chocolate is such a higher quality than your typical candy bar and it's really evident from the first bite.  You wonder why you've been wasting your time buying candy designed for the palate of a child.

Boom.  The sea salt hits you right away.  The contrast between the sweet and the salt works perfectly.  It's one of the most glorious combinations I've ever tasted.  And the hickory smoked almonds work with both other elements to create a flavor that demands to be savored yet urges you hunger for more.

And this happens with, not an entire piece of the Barcelona Bar, but just a small bite from a piece.  It's a remarkable experience.

Plus you've got to love a candy bar that comes with directions (six steps) on how to enjoy the "exotic candy bar."

Now I realize that in this economy $7.50 is a lot to drop on a single candy bar.  Ok, in any economy it's a lot to spend on a candy bar.  But trust on me on this; if you want to impress your girlfriend or wife, cop a Barcelona Bar for her.

She'll be slayed.  She'll love it and be impressed by your thinking of her.  Chalk it up one of those "little things" that women love so much.   And $7.50 is less expensive than flowers and a much more intimate experience.  

If you get lucky she'll give you some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...