Friday, August 26, 2011

Back on My Bowl Sh!t







So, as I recounted two weeks ago, I lost something very close to me.  It was a devastating day in my personal history and I day I doubt I'll ever forget.  It's no exaggeration that it's a day that will live in infamy.



But yesterday I decided that I was hit up a Tom Felton double feature of the final Harry Potter and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  And I decided that I was going to check them out at White Marsh.  Conveniently enough, there's an Ikea in White Marsh...







Once I realized I had enough downtime during my double feature to hit up Ikea, I knew I was about to undertake the quest that would most likely result in disappointment, but if successful, it would fill a huge void in my life.



Ikea is...well, Ikea is Ikea; either you dig it or you don't.  I feel it occupies a place in society, but much like Toys R Us, it's something you should outgrow.



Still, they had something I needed, so I had to go there.



Once I finally found kitchenware, I looked frantically for my bowl.  But I couldn't find my purple bowl.  Instead I found two bowls; on the right color but the wrong shape and the other the right shape and the wrong color.



Now the Fargrik was the perfect match in terms of color.  It was a shiny, nearly reflective purple.  My eyes were immediately drawn to it.  However the identical color did nothing to hide the fact that it was the wrong shape.



My bowl slightly tapered as you went down to the base.  But the Fargrik feature a much more severe tapering in addition to  in addition to a much wider mouth.  It was a fine bowl, but it just wasn't the bowl I was looking for.



The other bowl I saw was the Dinera.  It was identical in shape to the bowl that I cherished and clumsily lost, but it was the wrong color.  It was a stone gray-blue.  It felt the same and had the same heft, but the color was all wrong.  I really didn't see myself eating ice cream out of it.



I was literally going to have to make the biggest decision of my life; the Dinera or the Fargrik?  The right shape but the wrong color or the wrong shape but the right color?



Many things crossed my mind.  I thought about soups and breakfast cereal, both dry and with milk substitutes.  I thought about gelato, sherbet and even sorbet.  I honestly thought about snack foods like Chex Mix and popcorn.  Would they fit in the Dinera?  Should they fit in the Dinera? Would they be better suited for the Fargrik?



Ultimately I decided to get both.



I realized that I was just going to have to find out which was the better bowl by putting them through the paces.  I'll alternate days using the bowls.  I'll give it a month and then I'll decide which one I'm keeping.  (I kept the receipt.)



I mean, unless one of them proves so vastly superior that this contest doesn't last an entire month.  



Say hello to the Dinera...





...and the Fargrik.





May the best bowl win.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...