Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday Munchies - Häagen-Dazs Limited Edition Salted Caramel Truffle


Even though it's bad for me, I love salt.  Salty is one of my favorite attributes that something can have. I'm pretty sure I've shared my love for saladitos, the dried and salted prunes of my youth.

Salt is great on fruit.  It's great on everything.  But would it work with ice cream?  That's a question I had to find the answer to as soon as I saw Häagen-Dazs' new Salted Caramel Truffle flavor.



As a flavor, I could go either way with caramel.  Sometimes I used to be a fan of Caramello candy bars, but they got too sweet for me.  I've since discovered that I have the occasional craving for Rollo.  But for the most part, I try to avoid when caramel is a crucial part of the flavor equation.

I will say that at last year's Best of Baltimore party, Mouth Party completely won me over with their salted caramels.  Like I found them irresistible.

Salted Caramel Truffle has quite a bit going in it's favor.  Firstly it's sweet-cream ice cream.  And while it's called "sweet-cream" it's not unbearably sweet.  It's actually quite balanced with a richness of flavor that just demands a second bite.

Additionally, there are chocolatey truffles, that have quite a flavor pop to them.  They also provide texture and work well with the salted caramel swirl that's blended into the ice cream.  Every component is so plentiful that it's easy to get a sampling of every flavor in every bite.

My only qualm is a minor one; the caramel swirl is described as "lightly salted" and that's a bit too accurate.  It tastes like they added enough salt to take the sweetness away, but not enough for it to approach "salty."  Having tasted the Mouth Party salted caramels, I was slightly disappointed.

Which isn't to say that Salted Caramel Truffle isn't a great flavor; it is.  It's just slightly disappointing, in the same way it's slightly salted.

To use the Impulsive Buy ice cream scale, I'd could totally eat an entire container in one sitting.

Try this flavor now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...