Thursday, October 9, 2014

My Fall TV Schedule - Thursdays


Remember when Thursday offered “must see tv?”  Seems like so long ago, doesn’t it?  NBC abandoned it’s comedy block.  Fox too.  CBS has a powerhouse with Thursday Night Football, while ABC dominates the scripted tv game via Shonda Rhimes. 

Is it wrong to miss those days?  Is it like longing for vaudeville, something that will clearly never return?  Well, if it is, I don’t want to be right.

So, what am I watching on Thursday? 
Parenthood – In La Familia de Serpico, I’m sort of the one to go to when it comes to tv recommendations.  I’m pretty good at it.  I’ve got a strong track record of people satisfied with the shows I picked out for them.

I bring this up because Parenthood is a show that Ma Serpico actually recommended to me.  She thought I’d dig it, mainly because of the performance of Michael B. Jordan, who she got attached to via The Wire. 

But the show is really about the Braverman clan.  It’s a pretty loose show and the performances feel real.  It’s got moments of humor and genuine tender moments. The Braverman family feels like a real family. 

It’s the final season, so I’m kind of expecting big things from this last batch of episodes. 

Gracepoint – It feels like I’ve been hearing praise for Broadchurch for the longest.  It’s been on my “need to watch” British show list for far too long.  For the life of me, I can’t understand why it’s not streaming via some service. 

But it isn’t, which means I’ll have to suffice myself with the American remake, Gracepoint.  The track record for American remakes of British shows is littered with the corpses of horrible adaptations.  And I should know, I’ve got Low Winter Sun haunting me via iTunes. 

But I’ve got hopes for Gracepoint.  It’s set up a limited series.  It’s got a pretty strong cast, with actors who I generally enjoy.  I did watch the first episode and while it didn’t blow me away, it didn’t discourage me either.  Still, I’m looking forward to when the original is on Netflix. 


That’s it.  Two shows on Thursday.  That’s all I’m watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...