Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Vinyl Fantasy



So I spent this past weekend hanging out with The Fam.  A fun time was had by all.  Naturally we got to talking about music and had a really cool discussion.

But what I learned is that one of my younger cousins is way into vinyl and he's sort of got me considering buying stuff on vinyl.  It's really funny because there was a point in time when he couldn't care less about music.

The point is, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to jump into vinyl or not.



Now the major con to me getting into vinyl is that I've got nothing to play it on. I don't own a turntable or a record player.  I've got zero spin control.

Truth be told I've got a handful of records that I've collected over the years.  Most are promotional items given away with album releases.  I've actually got a few from the sadly defunct Hiphopsite.com store in Las Vegas.  It's one of the things that I genuinely miss about Las Vegas.

I've also gotten into the "deluxe version" of things.  For instance I ordered the deluxe version of Radiohead's Kingdom of Limbs.  That included an mp3 version, cd version and vinyl version of the album.  So, I've got two clear vinyl records sitting on my bookshelf, literally collecting dust.

And that's one of the really enlightening things that my cousin shared with me; apparently most vinyl releases come with either a code for an mp3 version or with a cd copy.  I know this because he shared both with me.

I figure I've got a couple thousand cds and a ton of mp3s, I might as well get into vinyl.  I love the way vinyl sounds.  I've got fond memories of listening to records, flipping them over and dropping the needle.  I think that's something I'd like to experience again.

So there you have it; I may be diving into vinyl.  Unless there's a serious price difference, I think it's completely feasible to do.  At the very least it's something to put on next year's New Year's Resolution list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...