Friday, July 15, 2011

Obligatory Harry Potter Post



I don't read books.  I never much took a cotton to 'em.  I just wasn't raised that way.  My daddy didn't like 'em and my daddy's daddy didn't like 'em.  Reading just ain't in my blood.

That said, I am kind of excited about the release of the final Harry Potter film.  Obviously I've never read any of the tomes chronicling his exploits, but I'm still a fan of the character.

Allow me to explain.




When Harry Potter swept the nation, much like the Beatles decades before him, I wasn't a fan.  I didn't see what the big fuss was about.  Granted I'm not part of the target demographic; I'm Black and an adult.  But I still didn't understand the craze.

However one weekend, back when I still lived in Vegas, my roommate and I decided to give Harry Potter a shot.  Over the weekend we were able to catch the first two flicks on cable just before the third one made it's HBO premiere.  

We were hooked.

We couldn't wait for the fourth flick to make it to cable.  And when it did we got comfy on the couch and enjoyed the ride.

And then things got tricky.

I moved back to Baltimore which meant I'd lost my movie buddy.  I also opted against cable (and tv, at least for a while.)  So I missed it when the fifth flick made the rounds.

Fortunately when the sixth flick was in theaters I was visiting family.  My cousin had brought the fifth movie on dvd with her so I watched it before I went to see the sixth with the fam on the big screen.

By the time the seventh was in theaters I'd found a Baltimore movie buddy and we saw it at The Charles.

Now that the final Harry Potter flick is in theaters it's the end of an era.  I'm going to be sad to see the franchise end.

And before you call me a nerd for digging the franchise I'd like to point out that while I've seen all of the movies, I don't know the names of any of them.  Look at how I only referred them by the number in the series.

So, yeah I'm going to miss Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...